Hi, guys. I spotted some white areas on my daughter’s skin. My friend saw it and she suspects on vitiligo. I am not sure if this is true or not. I would like to know what kind of treatment there is for vitiligo in children. Can someone help me with this piece of info? I would really be grateful.

Hi, there. My first advice to you is not to jump with conclusions. You should first consult an expert and then think about the treatment. If it is established, then you should consider treatment options which are several. Sunscreens are one of them. There is also an option of bleaching normal skin areas in order to make the colour of whole skin equal. You can also consider mini grafting. It means that a doctor takes grafts from normal skin and put it on vitiligo areas. Psoralen in a combination with ultraviolet radiation type A is a standard. This is called PUVA.

Hi. Your post gives me hope. I admit that I maybe have jumped to conclusions. I have read somewhere that PUVA may cause cancer skin. On the other hand, on some other websites they deny this. What is the true? I will ask my daughter’s dermatologist. If you know this answer, I will gladly hear it out.