Last week I visited my doctor because I was feeling dizzy and I had headaches and also vomiting. He did a physical examination on the spot and said that there was a possibility that I could have some kind of an infection. He ordered a series of blood tests and I didn’t understand a thing what he said. Then I spent the rest of the day in the hospital running from one lab to another to do all those tests. I was able to decrypt most of them but I still don’t understand what cbc w diff w pit means and what info does it give to the doc?

Yes I had similar experiences with understanding or better to say not understanding these weird acronyms written in the doctor’s findings and report charts. I was hospitalized more than once because of the chronic, or better to say repeating pernicious anemia. Since they rarely told me anything about anything I took my brothers physiology text book and found some interesting information. Cbc or complete blood count includes a series of tests which include hemoglobin, hematocrit, mean corpuscular hemoglobin, mean corpuscular hemoglobin concentration, mean corpuscular volume, platelet count, white Blood cell count. Hemoglobin and mean corpuscular Hb and MHCV are used to measure the amount of total Hb in the blood and the concentration of Hb in the individual erythrocyte, hematocrit shows the percentage of the blood cells opposed to percentage of plasma, mean corpuscular volume shows the volume of the average erythrocyte and platelet count shows the number of thrombocytes. WBC or white blood count is the number of the white blood cells and expressions diff and pit are short for differential white blood count, meaning that besides the exact count of all sorts of leucocytes the test should reveal their individual percentage in the total WBC. WBC is important in discovering infections and lecemias. I don’t know how accurate this little analysis of mine is but if you have questions about it try asking your doctor to explain it to you in more detail.

CBC - it looks basically at your:
Hemoglobin --- see you blood volume (decreased if you have an anemia)
hematocrit --- see you blood volume
white blood cells --- increasd if you have an infection
platelets
and other but these are the most important

DIFF is looking at all the different white blood cells (WBC)
there are eosinophils, lymphocytes, monocytes, etc....
depending on the infection or disease, a certain cell will be increased...
for example, in fungal infection, eosinophils are increased because these are the cells that fight fungal infections

I figured something out while searching this topic. It's not "Pit" -- it's "Plt" meaning "Platelets"