For most people, reading about chromosomal diseases is fascinating though far fetched. But if chromosome 22q11.2 deletion syndrome or other similar conditions run in your family, it becomes a different story entirely! There are several children with chromosome 22q11.2 deletion in my family, and I am really worried about having kids of my own now. Is there any way to screen for chromosome 22q11.2 deletion prenatally?

Before you have children, have your OBGYN send you to a prenatal specialist for Genetic Counseling. They can screen for anything as long as they know what they are looking for. It's the needle-in-a-haystack stuff that gets missed in generic genetic testing. That being said...in approximately 10% of the cases it is inherited from the parents. Since there are several cases of it in your family, you should have yourself screened to see if you would be an "affected" parent.