I wonder, can someone get huntington even if it doesn't run in their family? I have heard that a little girl in my younger brother's class has this illness and that no one from hers parents or grandparents had it. So how can that be? I mean, she is only seven years old, how could this happen in the first place. I see that my brother is sad, but I do not know what to tell him.

Unfortunately, there are more and more cases of Huntington's disease affecting young children. Parents do not have to get ill from this disease in order for their children to have it. Usually, age group affected by this illness are people around their thirties. Perhaps your brother overheard teachers talking of his friend's condition, which is indeed difficult. Perhaps you should not tell him that it has a fatal outcome.