Hi there, I’m 15 weeks pregnant and I just found out that my baby might have a hygroma on its neck. I have to see a specialist in two weeks and if it does have a hygroma on its neck then the baby has to have genetic testing. I'm really worried and sad for my baby. Have anyone had a problem with infant cystic hygroma. What can I expect?

Hello, I am sorry to hear this I had situation with infant cystic hygroma. When I was 11 weeks pregnant I had an ultrasound and they saw cystic hygroma on the back of the neck and also had hydrops in the stomach. We were very upset. They told us that it could be turners or downs, didn’t give us much hope. I had to go back to the specialist at 16 weeks, and all of the hygroma and hydrops were gone! I have had regular check ups since and it has stayed gone. I am having a healthy baby boy.

Having just gone through this myself, I feel it is important to have a realistic perspective here.

A cystic hygroma at 11 weeks of pregnancy is indicative of many potential complications. At this stage there is a 50 percent chance of a genetic abnormality (turners or downs) and if all is well in this arena, there is a 30 percent chance for countless other physical problems - including heart defect, miscarriage, and still birth. The hygroma will usually disappear later in the pregnancy but the information from its earlier existence is still important.

While I am happy for your health and the health of your baby, I must encourage more pragmatic posts here. On the positive side, this condition does not indicate a proclivity towards complications in future pregnancies. I think it is a wonderful thing that we can get this information so early.

If anyone reading this has this condition, please get all the information that you can - including a cvs test to determine at 11 weeks if there is a genetic abnormality.

Stay positive and informed!

Thank you for your post regarding the need for realism with this issue. My sister just (today) lost her baby to cystic hygroma at 20 weeks gestation. We're having a hard time finding a lot of information and are wondering if you could direct us to more information about successful pregnancies after a loss. Thanks!

hi

I also just recently lost my baby due to cystic hygroma. I am already 4 months pregnant when I learned that my baby is already dead inside. It is really very sudden and sad. It happens to be my first baby. Aside from the cystic hygroma there are also fetal hydrops.

I have learned that cystic hygroma is really a rare condition. And mostly due to genetics abnormality. There is no known history of genetics abnormality within my family and my husband's family.

Now I am really doing a lot of research with regards to this condition. I am quite fearful of my future pregnancies, hoping that this won't happen again.

It is quite comforting to know that there are similar cases but the cystic eventually disappeared resulting to a healthy baby after.

For the other mom's who are experiencing the same problem during their pregnancies, Be Strong for your baby and for your family.

Hello!

I recently started a group for Cystic Hygroma and Lymphangioma on Myspace. I have other families who share your same experience and may be able to offer you support. I hope you will consider joining. I am an adult living with CH and Lymphangioma. I blog about it on my page. Below you will find a link to my page and my group.

Friendship Page (105 Members): myspace.com/lmnetwork
Group (68 Members): http://groups.myspace.com/lmnetwork

Take Care!

CJay

Posted: 05/28/08 - 22:11 Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello!

Take Care!

CJay

when i was about 18 weeks pregnant i went for an ultrasound and they found a cystic hygroma on the left side of my babies neck, they were also talking about turners and downs syndrome and when she was born they did the tests and everything came back normal she is a very healthy baby she has been through a few surgeries for the hygroma but that is it. I just want to say keep your heads up and believe that through god anything is possible.

Im only 16years old and i am pregnant (not Planned) im going to keep the baby but When i had my first Scan at 10weeks and three days And they told me my baby might have cystic hygroma , I have been told That because my boyfriend who is mixed race and i am white could of caused it , is this true? and is there a chance that it could disapear ? i have another scan on the 13th But just need some more information.
thanks

I completely understand what you are going through. I found out my baby had a Cystic Hygroma at 12weeks and only had a 10% chance of living and also that the baby most likely had turners syndrome. But i went for my 15 weeks ultrasound and the Cystic Hygroma was completely gone!!! So i just wanna tell you that no matter what the doctors say do not lose hope! I understand that there are many cases where the woman sadly loses the baby but miracles do happen. God bless your heart and i will be praying for you and your baby!

I have a questions for you. At the time the cystic hygroma was discovered. Did you get a CVS or an amnio done to rule out chromosomal abnormalitiles? If so, did the tests come out okay or did they show problems? How is your baby now? Any complications? Thanks

hi iam sansdeep from pune .my wife is 12 weeks pregnant and dr. told ur baby is affected fro cystic hygroma tell what r am doing i am very upset.

Hello, just here to give some positive support really. I'm sixteen years old and when I was born I suffered from cystic hygroma on my right breast. I had to have a few surgeries to remove it. But other than that I am healthy. Hope your all okay xx

Im so sorry to hear everyone with this problem. I know what your going trough its really hard im 24 wks pregnant and my baby was diag with cystic lymphiangioma on the postierior side of ther right neck. Im scared ive gone to 2 ultra sounds that show it and its grown a little more than last month i still have a way to go on my pregnancy and im scared dont know what to think or do. the doctors tell me that we have to wait and thats it.

i am 35 yrs old i had a teratoma after my first pregnancy wasnt supposed to be able to have any more children i now have a very healthy 2 and a half year old boy had surgery to stop pregnancy and in july 2010 found out i was pregnant at 17 weeks had a triple screen and was pos. for spina bifida and down syndrome at 18 and a half weeks before feeling the baby move for the first time had an ultra sound the next day to discover the baby died in the night and was told the baby had cystic hygroma and many other abnormalities op report says there were fragments and they couldnt even tell what the sex of the baby was i worry is this going to happen again