Hi, I have a question regarding my family's medical history. My grandmother was the first to be diagnosed with breast cancer. Unfortunately, the diagnosis was made too late, and my granny died very quickly. Than my auntie and my mother too were diagnosed with the same condition after the age of thirty five. Fortunately, they were healed. I am now thirty four years old and I am very worried. Will I get breast cancer if it runs in my family?

Hi, breast cancer is one of the conditions that run in the family. It is transmitted through the genes. There is a great chance that you have inherited those trouble making genes, since practically every female relative from your mother's side has had it. However, you should not despair, just because your genes seem to work against you. There are a couple of things you can do lower your risk for developing breast cancer. You should not smoke, exercises and a healthy diet might also prove very useful. But most importantly, you should do breast self exams on monthly basis to early detect the cancer if it turns up. Also you should visit your doctor and have a mammogram and ultrasound done once a year. The earlier the cancer is discovered, the greater are the chances for you to recover from it successfully. Who knows, maybe you will be lucky enough and not develop breast cancer at all!