Hello! My father will have a bypass surgery in five days. His doctor explained the whole procedure and I was little bit confused after his explanation but since my father was present I didn’t want to complicate the situation. As I understood he will be attached to some heart lung machine during the procedure. Does that mean he will not breathe? What is actually a heart lung machine? What if the machine brakes in the moment of surgery or something like that?

Hello! A heart lung machine takes over the functions of the heart and lungs during an open-heart surgery such as bypass surgery. The heart lung machine actually consists of a pump which replaces the heart and a bubble oxygenation device which replace the lungs. This machine acts as a mechanical heart and lungs. When the surgery is completed the heart will be restarted and the heart-lung machine stopped disconnected from the patient. You shouldn’t worry; specialists continually monitor blood pressure, blood oxygen levels, carbon dioxide levels and blood temperature and breathing. Your father’s life will not depend on a machine but on the surgeons.