Hello! My father has been having problems with breathing for years. He used to smoke more then thirty cigarettes daily and didn’t want to listen to anyone who tried to explain how harmful this was. His health became seriously endangered in the last two years and he wasn’t able to perform even the simplest daily activities since he was always suffering from breath shortness. My mother told me he had to go to lung volume reduction surgery. Why is lung volume reduction surgery performed?

Hello! Lung volume reduction surgery is one of the approaches in treating of emphysema. In lung volume reduction surgery surgeons remove about 30% of the damaged lungs. When the lung size is reduced the remaining lung and surrounding intercostals and diaphragm muscles are able to work more efficiently and make breathing easier. Your father will need to go under general anesthesia for this operation and his surgeon will inform him about all risks and benefits of this surgery.