Hello! My mother suffers from severe emphysema. Her condition is getting worse and her doctor said we should consider lung volume reduction surgery. I heard many different stories and I also heard that this surgery is more dangerous then a heart surgery. My neighbor told me it bears many risks. I can’t say I know much about it. Could someone tell me more about lung volume reduction surgery?

Hello! You should know that every surgery bears a potential risk, even the simplest one. Lung volume reduction surgery is performed in patients with severe emphysema and it is the way to improve their quality of life. It is important to know that this surgery is not a cure. Around 20 to 30% of lung tissue will be removed during the surgery which will make breathing easier. This procedure is done under the general anesthesia. Your mother will most probably participate in 6 to 10 week pulmonary rehabilitation program prior to surgery.