Hello! My father suffers from emphysema and he has just come back for his doctor. He doesn’t know what to do since his doctor recommended lung volume reduction surgery. My father is afraid of any kind of the surgery and he has heard that this surgery is even harder then a heart surgery and more dangerous. How successful is lung volume reduction surgery?

Hello! Lung volume reduction surgery is a successful surgery that helps emphysema patients to improve lung function. Of course if the procedure goes without complications. Most common complication after the surgery is prolonged air leakage (approximately 40% of patients will have this problem). In 15% of cases pneumonia can occur, especially in patients who have a history of recurrent bouts. Then comes bleeding (2-5%), stroke (<1%), and a heart attack (1%). The chance of dying after lung volume reduction surgery is approximately 3-8%.