Hello! My friend’s father has problems with his lungs. My friend told me his father decided to try with lung volume reduction surgery. Since I know his father suffers from breath shortness I am very confused. I think he misunderstood something. I don’t understand how the reduced volume can improve breathing. When is lung volume reduction surgery recommended?

Hello! Your friend’s father most probably suffers from emphysema and you should know that lung volume reduction surgery is recommended in patients with severe emphysema. It maybe sounds confusing to you but during the surgery around 30% of the lung tissue is removed. The tissue is poorly functioning and just occupies the space. When the lung size is reduced the remaining lung and surrounding muscles work more efficiently which makes breathing easier and helps patients achieve improved quality of life