Is it true that acidophilus actually means good bacteria? I have a discussion with my friend, he claims that means we take bacteria in our body. Is that true bacteria could protect us from harmful diseases? Somehow, I cannot believe this, so I would like short explanation. What is acidophilus and does anyone really use this?

It is pure truth that acidophilus, lactobacillus acidophilus exactly, is a lactic acid producing bacteria. These bacteria are thought to have some beneficial effects on digestion and overall health. I could say that many factors decrease the number of lactic acid producing bacteria that live and work in the gastrointestinal tract. With these bacteria, I mean ones that protect us from harmful disease you mention. These diseases are caused with some bacteria, aging, alcohol, antibiotics, diet deficiencies, drugs, medications, narcotics, nicotine, and stressful living. Some health professionals claim that acidophilus aided to the digestive process helps correct some of problems. For example, there are proofs it helps with constipation, diarrhea, mucous colitis, and reduces blood cholesterol. Beside these, it enhances the absorption of nutrients, sweetens bad breath, treats acne and other skin disorders, and conquers harmful bacteria and certain viruses, and many other things that help with our health. Though I believe in good side of acidophilus, I think it should be pointed out that solid scientific evidence for these claims is lacking.