Can they help with IBS and how long does it take for them to start working? I now have hemorrhoids and going so frequently really is making them worse. Any suggestons? thanks
yanksgirl

Lactobacillus acidophilus and bifidobacterium can be very helpful in keeping IBS manageable. Do a google search on 'acidophilus' and you will get tons of results explaining the many benefits. They start working immediately. The time it takes for your symptoms to improve would vary greatly depending on the source of the problem. It can take some time for your intestinal flora to sort itself out. When you go to the healthfood store, discuss the quality of the brands available as some are certainly better than others. When you get the probiotics home, follow the storage instructions on the bottle to the letter. Never keep your pills in the bathroom or above your stove in the kitchen. These good bacteria are ALIVE and need to be kept accordingly.

As far as the hemorrhoids are concerned, there are some things you can do to make them less of an issue. Pushing during a BM makes them worse. Make some changes in your diet to minimize the effort. Add more veggies and roughage. Avoid processed foods, pasta, white rice, excess sugar and other simple starches. Sugar and simple starches feed candida (yeast) and may be at the root of your problem. The probiotics will fight candida, but will be much more effective if you limit your sugar intake.

Hope this helps :-)

:) Thank you for the suggestions and comments. I bought a bottle of probiotic 50 multivitamins and take one a day. It has everything in it that I've heard is recommended. I do hope it works. I'll let you know.
yanksgirl

Looking foreward to hearing your results!

Kev has great advice! I just wanted to add that in order for it to be live cultures, I believe (I could be wrong) that they have to be refridgerated. I get mine from Whole Foods and they are in pill form, but need to be kept in the fridge. I have crohns and they help me a great deal. Good luck!

What I used in order to reduce the swelling was to soak a cotton pad with witch hazel and leave on the hemorrhoid for as long as possible. It helped to shrink the swelling and calm the hemorrhoid. A good cleansing program helped me with my ibs and I continue with a soluble fiber that helps keep my bm regular an effortless. I use drnatura products colonix and probiotic. Let us know what is working for you now.

i have been suffering from hemorrhoids off and on with extensive bleeding. it has improved now . i started taking a fig a day early in the morning( soaked thru the night) a cup of radish with teaspoon of honey and
a pear fruit and one pro biotic tablet daily.
no more constipation and stools are soft. it has brought tremendous relief.
please try it tq

Just a completely unsubstantiated word of warning (take with a grain of salt!):

I did not have hemorrhoids before I started taking a probiotic to help with Crohn's disease. While they did indeed help in certain areas (frequency and urgency of having to go among them), they also seem to bring a pretty severe case of hemorrhoids about a week or two after I start taking them daily. And generally within three days of stopping the probiotics I clear up.

I attribute this to the fact that most bacteria found in these probiotics convert lactose to lactic acid, which I believe in my case was changing the chemistry of my gut and causing the irritation that lead to the piles. I'm really curious to know if anyone has had similar experiences.

I don't want to put anyone off of trying probiotics here. If your hemorrhoids are caused by constipation or any other variety of problems they could just do the trick. Besides, they're cheap and they're safe - no reason not to give them a shot.

Interesting...I just started taking probiotics (yogurt form) about a week ago. Also experienced my first case of hemorrhoids yesterday. Holy c**p!
I expect the Hemorrhoids to clear up soon (?how long do they last) so if I stop the probiotics that wont mean that it was the cause of the hemorrhoids. It may just be a coincidence.

I don't think that the probiotics have anything to do with the hemorrhoids. It definitely is a coincidence but what happened? How big are the hemorrhoids?

I actively work on the mechanisms of probiotics effects on the body, especially the immune system. Your concerns about acidic stools are valid. Probiotics not only increase in the gut the production of the organic acid lactic, but also acetic, propionic and butyric. I am am also sufffer from hemmorhoids and notice that flairs usually occur after eating yogurt for several days. Probiotics do not permanently colonize the gut, so within 3-7 days of stop taking them, this effect should diminish

Hi there, how is it htat the colony goes down? I thought that these were bacteria that helped you digest. Why would they not last in the colon? I am a little confused. Can you let me know?

Definitely be wary of the probiotic yogurts regarding hemorrhoids.  I hadn't had one for >15 years, I started eating that Activia twice a day, and wham! out of nowhere I got the absolutely worst 'roid of my life.  I am talking about a sitting-on-an-icepack-all-day 'roid.  The-size-of-the-end-of-my-thumb-after-the-last-knuckle 'roid.  Probably-should-have-had-surgery 'roid, except I was living abroad and didn't trust the foreign doctors in that third world hell-hole to operate on my nether-regions.  Years after, I've sort of healed, but still have a nasty lump there.  I would honestly join a class action law-suit if one was launched, there appears to be permanent physical damage, not to mention the emotion duress.  I had no idea that eating yogurt that was advertised as a health-promoting food could cause me so much damage.  The only reason I ever learned of the connection was because my wife busted out in the worst 'roid of her life the exact same week that I busted out in the worst one of my life, and I still didn't make the connection, my wife found the connection to probiotics while googling causes of 'roids.

I recently got hemroids for the 1st time of my life (I'm 47) and it was a really bad case of them according to the doctor. The doctor kept saying I must of caused them by straining while lifting weights or something, which I didn't think I had. My wife noticed the coinsidence that I got the hemi's only after I had started eating large amounts of Yogurt (kinda a kick I was on eating yogurt and granola mixed, as 1-2 meal replacements per day). I had done this for about 10 straight days at the point when the hemi's started. I quit eating the yogurt, and after about 3 weeks, the hemi's cleared up. I never mentioned to the doctor about eating differently, and he never brought diet up as a possibility for casing them, so I never connected the dots. I will never eat yogurt regularily again, as hemi's suck horribly! I still lift as many weights as I ever did, and I have not had a re-occurance of hemi's since I stopped eating the yogurt, about 6 months ago.

Although probiotics are supposed to aid the digestive systems, many people have also complained of their hemorrhoids flaring up or aggravting from high dosages of yogurts. In fact probiotics promote digestive activities, relieve constipation which theoretically is supposed to assist hemorrhoids.

I do believe it has more to do with the food sources, ie. the yogurt content itself, rather than the probiotics themselves as they are after all commericalized, processed food.