Hello. I'm 25 year old female and these last couple of years I'm having big health problems. They are not so serious but started to interfere with my normal everyday activities.
I'm suffering from frequent urinary infections. First couple of times- I used some antibiotics that are being commonly prescribed for these problems. But now- they can't help at all.
My doctor told me it could be that bacteria developed a resistance to these antibiotics and that I would maybe start with some sulfonamide class antibiotics. Are there any side effects I could expect if I start with them!?

It happens that I know some facts about these antibiotics because I was using them for some time. What do you want to know about them? Sulfonamides are synthetic antimicrobial agents derived from sulfonic acid.
You know- all microbial agents are producing folic acid and this is target point of this medication. These drugs are inhibitors of PABA- para-aminobenzoic acid which is main substrate for making folic acid.
They are very effective and bacteria can hardly develop resistance on them. You must remember one thing- all sulfonamides are capable of causing drug intoxication and several other side effects.
Hypersensitivity is also not so rare!