I wanted to get IUD but I have heard that bleeding can come from IUD irritation. One friend of mine experienced this even after 4 years. She has cervical inflammation, and uterine bleeding secondary to hormonal fluctuation. Now I am wondering if that is normal to experience mucus because of IUD. Can you give me an answer, and tell me what is IUD?

Modifications of cervical mucus associated with IUD use were investigated in five women fitted with a copper IUD. In this study were included and five women with a progesterone-releasing device. I will explain this study to you; I think it is the best way to hear what is IUD and to find out more about its principle of working. In this study, mucus was collected from study subjects before IUD insertion and 3 months after insertion. Capillary tube test was also performed, and penetration depth, penetration density, motility duration, and migration reduction were evaluated with this kind of intra uterine device or IUD. Women with a copper IUD in place showed no significant changes in cervical mucus measures after its insertion. In contrast, insertion of the progesterone-releasing device significantly modified mucus, with a dramatic increase of leukocyes. Similarly, although the copper IUD did not produce significant variations in penetration test parameters, insertion of the progesterone-releasing IUD was associated with a significant decrease in sperm concentrations penetrated at one cm. Moreover, IUD or intra uterine device brings a marked drop in sperm motility and survival, and a significant decrease in the reduction of migration. These results indicate that progesterone-releasing IUDs produce important changes in cervical mucus and reduce sperm penetration, which is the main role of intra uterine device known as IUD.