Just checking if anyone has an idea as to what could be going on. Normally when it gets close to my periods my lower stomach and right thigh cramp pretty bad now that I have an IUD. This morning I woke up with my lower abdominal, lower back, and both thighs cramping. I am not bleeding and have not bleed more than 1 day at a time since I had the IUD inserted.
Thank you- >:(

hey, i was just surfing the web trying to find out as much as i can about the iud and put in today, it's cramping like crazy and it's been hours since it's been put in? did you cramp also? if so, for how long?

shannon36 wrote:

I had one inserted two weeks ago, and Im still cramping!!! this sucks so far.. feels like it did on the first day. I hope yours gets better!!

shannon36 wrote:

Mine cramped for about a day and a half, but got better for a couple of days... now I am having lower ab pains (different than cramps), were worse yesterday and hope it continues to settle down. It is Sunday, so if there is still pain tomorrow, then I am calling my dr's office to check and see if I might need antibiotics to prevent infection. I hope things have improved for both of yall now.

Guest wrote:

Thank you- :x

Hi

I've had mine in for about 2 months. I was quite crampy for the first 3 weeks or so - nothing crazy - and then everything seemed fine. I had a very light period about 2 days after insertion which lasted 7 days. Currently on day 9 of my second period. Thought it was finished 2 days ago, however, sex seemed to trigger bleeding and lower back pain. After reading around a bit, I'm guessing it takes a few months for things to settle down..say, about 3 months...then, if there are still issues, that's when I'd try and see someone. However, if it's as painful as you say, perhaps you should go back to the doctor sooner. My gyno explained it like this, some women have very 'angry' or 'hostile' uterus', which react more aggressively to foreign objects inside them than others. I guess we're all different.

Hi
I'm 6 months after insertion. My first coil had to be removed after 7 weeks when i couldn't cope with pain and find out that it partially slide out. Was scared to have second one but my doctor change shape and size and i really can't bare any more hormonal treatment. Insertion hurt me like mad but i assume it's because i never been pregnant. Now everything is ok until day before period. I get pain that reminds cramps but it's also like sharp razors inside me. Till now every month is exactly the same, and it takes 4 days to settle down. I do have much heavier periods but that's not a problem. I stooped using tampons and i didn't have sex for couple of months now but the pain is still the same. I had scan and check ups 3 months ago and there was no reason to worry. I really don't understand amount of pain that i'm in every month and what can cause it. I need to add i'm strong person and not very often complaining about pain.
If u have similar problems or u know resolution let me know please.

Ok ... I've had an IUD for over 8 years now.. I'm on my second ..I get MAJOR SEVERE Cramps up to two weeks before my period, and none during .. But this month has decided to throw me for a loop. I'm day two into my period, and am having cramps WORSE than a miscarraige I had 3 years ago. I was just surfing the net trying to find a way to cope

This being said. I would never do any other form of Birth Control, I have tried all things hormonal, and can't handle the side effects. These cramps i'll suffer with over gaining 15 lbs and getting acne over the pill

Hey everyone, i have the mirena iud, i've had it for about 3 years now. the first few weeks i cramped like crazy and now when i'm supposed to have a period i cramp so bad and even feel burning half way down my thigh...i was thinking about getting the shot but everyone has told me i'll gain alot of weight with it..does anyone know any other good form of birth control besides the pill (i won't remember to take it everyday lol)?

I had the copper IUD (w/o hormones) put in at the beginning of this month. Hurt like heck on insertion (almost jumped off the table) & for the first few days (cramping) but then settled down. Period was supposed to be a lot heavier from all that I read, but it was more like spotting for FIVE days and now is crazy heavy for going on day THREE (8 days total so far and no end in sight). I might add that I've always been one of those lucky girls that had a 3 day periods prior to the IUD. So, about this "cramping" thing that started the day before my period. It's not like cramping at all. It's like labor pains on steroids mixed with sharp glass that literally take my breath away & move from right to left side (ovaries)? I took 3 pregnancy test because I thought I was having an ectopic pregnancy it hurts so badly. I'm not pregnant (thank goodness). I am going to wait it out the three months if I can stand it to see if it goes away. If not, this thing has got to go! From reading all of these posts I'm beginning to think the the IUD indeed does prevent pregnancy...because I am bleeding like a stuck pig and doubled over in pain. Like I'm feeling up to sex! Yeah right... :-S 99.9% chance of NO on that one! Good luck to everyone on here...

i have had an IUD for over a year now. i LOVE it. i have never had a peroid, until this week. and i can figure out what is going on, its between miscarriage, ovarian cyst, kidney infection. but i would recomend the IUD to everyone that has had a child. those of you that is hurts currently. did you have it put in on your cycle? if not that is a major problem. the pain will go away, i remember passing out as i walked out of the dr office getting it put in. but it is so worth it in the end. :-D

Hi I was wondering if anyone can help me..

i had the mirena inserted in august 2010 as i had PCOS which was causing me to have a build up of lining causing lumps or something like that but would go away after a few months my ob/gyn said i needed a mirena to maintain a thinner linning.. the insertion was so painful i almost passed out infact it took my dr over 3 times to try insert it as he said my uterus was really small. i have had 3 scans in the last 8 months las one in dec 2010 to check if it is still in place and all seems good on scan... HOWEVER... every month without fail 2 weeks from the last period and about 2-4 day before and during the period i get extreme cramps that feel like someone is putting my ovary in a clamp... i have never had a kid but i would think it is almost like contractions it feels like alot of sharp stabbing pain and alot of pressure... i asked my MD why this is he said it was because the mirena was settling the PCOS and that i may be ovulating properly as i am also on metformin. I am allergic to ibuprofen and narcotics are the only thing that can touch the pain slightly. for 8 months it hasnt stopped just wondered if anyone has had this pain before??

Please help!!!!!!

Hey everyone...I'm on my 2nd IUD. Had my first put in almost 6 years ago and removed after 4 and a half.  While I had the iud, i had a very light period, usually one day every 4 months and zero cramping. I got pregnant the month immediately after removal and miscarried at 9 weeks. 10 Months later I got pregnant and now have a beautiful 6 month old son. When he was a month old I got another Iud and now I cramp like crazy. No period tho. Have only had one in 5 months but I'd rather bleed 10 days a month than cramp for the sporatic 20 a month that I do. Not sure of the answer but I'm thinking about having it removed.

Thanks so much for posting this! I'm having the exact same problems and it's good to know im not the only one. I had my copper IUD inserted 3 months ago i nearly fainted when it was inserted the pain was insane and i've gone through child birth before! The cramping lasted about 2 days after insertion with just a bit of spotting. My next period came on time and was some what normal. I usually only have my period for 3 days as well and for the first month i had it for 4 days instead, which wasn't that big of a deal. I never get cramps and was warned i should be expecting them. I had a bit of cramping but nothing unbearable or that a little tylenol or advil couldnt fix. The following month i was 3 weeks late for my period i thought perhaps i was pregnant (that was scary!), but thankfully the tests came back negative. Finally i began spotting on and off for about 5 days and eventually i got my period. The cramps were really painful but that wasnt the worst of it it shot across my lower left stomach into my lower left back and i could NOT handle it i didnt want to move but at the same time i couldnt get comfortable and was restless trying to find a position to stay in to keep the pain at a minimum. Pain killers helped but didnt eliminate the pain. My cylce went on for 5 days. After 24 hours of being period free i had sex with my bf and the spotting started again and lasted 3 days and during those 3 days the back pains would come back in the evening. I'm hoping i dont feel like this next time my cycle comes back around because it really is not a feeling i can live with for so many days every month, but i really like the idea of the IUD and not having to worry for so many years or messing with my hormones..

I had my 2nd Mirena IUD placed, almost a year ago. I can't complain about my 1st one, but this second, one is a different story. Before my IUD's I had really have periods, cramping..the works. With my first IUD, all my symptoms went away, even my period, it was great. With this 2nd IUD, I have had some of the bloating, cramping. backaches and moodiness come back, but happily NO heavy period. My doctor told me, during the placement of my 2nd IUD, that sometimes a persons body, is used to the hormones that were in the past IUD's, so any other ones placed, you might experience PMS symptoms, you didn't have before. Good luck to you all....what women have to deal with!!!!