On April 1st, I had the Paragard IUD inserted. I was on my period when it was inserted and I bled for a few days after. I stopped bleeding for a few days then I began to spot a little. Then a few days ago, I started having a clear/whiteish odorless mucous-like discharge. I have also started to feel bloated.
I had bad cramping while it was inserted, then I have had low back pains ever since.
Is this normal? Could I have an infection? DId anyone else experience this after IUD (paragard) insertion?
If so, do these symptoms go away?
I am seriously considering having it removed.

Did you have the Paragard removed? I had mine inserted 4 days ago and I think I am going to make an appt. with my Gyn to remove it. The insertion was extremely painful and I have had the worst cramping I've had in my life since the insertion. I'm bloating and bleeding. I did a few online searches and it sounds like this is par for the course and that the cramping is pretty awful for the first year. I also read that the bloating does not subside and can lead to weight gain. I know some women have no symptoms at all, but obviously I do.

Please post a follow-up and let us know if you've had the device removed and what that experience was like.

Thanks!

I just had mine removed yesterday after 1 month.  I gained weight, had increased back pain from my endometriosis, mood swings, acne, and hair starting to fall out.  My bad symptoms started after the end of my first paragrad period.  Now just waiting to see how long till i am myself again.  My doc says paragard can't cause any of those symptoms, but I don't believe it.  ever since it was put in I had problems.

I know from my own experiences of having 2 i.u.d's and knowing the symptoms from having them that what you explain is perfectly normal and intro-uterine-devices/I.U.D's can and most likely will cause these symptoms:
Cramping
bloating
spotting
low back pain
dull aches and pains
and other PMS symptoms and menstrual symptoms that can be often times unlike what you are typically used to with your normal cycles.
this is because you are putting a foreign device into your body and it has a effect on your body which is no need for concern unless you are in pain that is more than you would consider mild or moderate, then you should call your Dr. or go into urgent care o your closest emergency room as a small percentage of women can have complications caused by the placement of the device or the device itself doesn't agree with your body or that it has become dislodged and needs to be removed. you can check to make sure it is still in by feeling your cervix and if you can feel the unit itself then go in immediately, you should only feel the strings which are often made of wire or other material, but DO NOT PULL ON THEM EVER!
Hope this has been informative and good luck with everyone having similar symptoms, yes i know this post is old but i thought maybe another woman may find it helpful!
also if pregnancy is suspected, do a pregnancy test from your local store or you can go to a free clinic or planned pregnancy clinic for free or your local emergency room! good luck all, kaegic

Hello Kaegic,

I had my copper IUD inserted a little over a week ago and am extremely bloated (look about 5 month spregnant), have lower back pain, feel out of breath when I exercize and now I started having a yellowish discharge as well, though it doesn't smell (sorry for the tmi). I was just wondering, given your experience, did these symptoms go away with time, and if so how long did it take? If this is going to be the case throughout the course I will have it removed, if it's a few more weeks or even months I will probably tough it out.

I also had the paraguard put in and I am having cramps,lower back pain, and bloating. It feels like I have my period which is a horrible feeling. Don't know if iam gonna keep it in if this continue.