I know some people views ketosis as a metabolic advantage to weight loss. Advantage of ketosis for me is the stability and ease of control it confers on my blood sugar. I have feeling ketosis brings me the protection from hypoglycemia. In the fact, it improves my hypoglycemic awareness, but my friend does not believe me. Can you tell us both more about ketosis, what is that actually?

First, I have to say that briefly, the body naturally turns to fat for fuel when carbohydrate is not available. When a lot of fat is burned, some of the fat fragments such as ketones are excreted to preserve the body's acid-base balance. This happens because ketones are acid, and this situation is called ketosis. The excreted ketones have about 5 calories per gram, and logically you can excrete quite a lot of ketones. You have to know also that free fatty acids are cut into two and four carbon fragments called ketones or ketone bodies. Ketones are normally present in the bloodstream, but when their concentration exceeds 70 mg/dl, they start to appear in the urine. This is condition I have already mentioned, called ketosis. Ketone bodies are the preferred fuel of the heart, adrenal cortex, skeletal musculature and parts of the brain. Excess ketones are excreted in the breath, stool and mostly in the urine. Test strips passed through the urine stream reveal their concentration and diagnosing ketosis.