Hello, I am 34 years old and I am desperately trying to loose weight. I cannot even say how frustrating it is to be on a diet for couple of weeks and then return the kilos in matter of days. Anyway, I have been thinking on trying the Atkins diet, but some say that it is not that healthy. Why is Atkins diet dangerous?

Well, this diet is based on use of proteins. The problem is that only proteins are allowed and that is not good because the level of cholesterol will increase rapidly and there is a risk of getting high blood pressure. And also, since carbohydrates are not allowed, brain suffers because it is its only food. And it cannot be replaced by the carbohydrates made from the extra fat in our organisms.

Hallo,
If I am not mistaking Atkins diet is based on belief that carbs are responsible for weight gain. So this diet is based on low carbohydrates. Now there are several problems with this. For instance when you have low consumption of carbohydrates, your body enters a state of ketosis in which ketones are generated in the body. his can cause bad breath and problems in urine. Also you might feel constipation often and cramps that are mainly caused because of the low minerals level in your body. Now you have to know that you have to keep your body well hydrated all the time which will lower the chances of these side effects.
All the best to you,
Karen