Hi, I'm 17 years old and I always had problems with pimples and acne. I thought that was normal for a teenager to have acne, but they seemed to be more severe than in the most of my friends. I finally decided to go talk to a doctor about a possible treatment and she said that it has something to do with my hormones and had me sent to a endocronologist appointment. What I want to know is what is an endocronologist, what’s is his or her role in all this and what does he or she basically do?

Endocronologist is a doctor for endocrine gland disorders. Glands in our body are divided in two major groups: exocrine – the ones that excrete their secretions in the outside world, and endocrine – the ones that make substances that are excreted directly into the blood. Endocrine glands are: thyroid, pituitary, parathyroid, adrenal glands, liver, pancreas, ovaries and testicles. All of them produce substances called hormones that are excreted into the blood and used to control the activity of the entire body. That’s why disorders of these glands are so important – they can have a wide system effects if not treated. The job of an endocronologist is to figure out which functions of which glands in your body are not functioning well and to try to fix them in the best way possible. In your case, since you are still in your teens your doctor must have assumed that the cause of your acne might be due to a hormonal imbalance so she sent you to an endocronologist for an exam. I'm pretty sure that your doctor knows what she’s doing and that this guy or a lady she’s sending you to also knows how to do his/her job so there is nothing basically to worry about. I can only wish you the best and hope to hear from you when all those tests are over with your impressions and possibly without pimples.

i have some what of the same question with a different twist.....

im 22, i didnt start my period till 17. because i was worried why i hadnt started yet, the doctor gave me some sort of medicine to make to start. then when i did they gave me ortho tri cycling birth control which made my hair fall out in chunks in the shower. so i stopped using that. i still only have my period every 6 months or so, i never know when its going to come either.
my sophomore yr in highschool some girls were mad at me so they drew a picture of me with hair all over my face (and a big butt, which im proud of!!)....i found out and decided to go get my face and stomach lazored, cuz i figured that would get rid of it. it was never really that bad, but i guess it was enough for other people to notice. but now every day i have to pluck the hair off my face in the morning so no one will notice. it never went away. also i have major stress problems, and some times depression problems too. i went to a specilist and they told me i have a horomonal off balance. but theres wasnt much done to actually take care of it. i moved away from home and havent been able to see a doctor or afford it. i want to know whats my best bet and what i should do to take care of all of these problems. before its too late. i want to be able to have children one day and im afriad i wont. my grandma actually had very iragular periods also and takes medicine for depression currently, she still ended up having 3 boys. but i know i cant ignore this problem forever.

thank you very much.

Endocrinologists specialize in problems related to glands and hormones of the body. Endocrinologists are also more likely to carefully follow the very conservative diagnosis and treatment protocols as outlined by AACE and very few incorporate complementary or holistic approaches to diagnosis and treatment of thyroid disease.