I have a friend who visited doctor and after all, he needed some tests more to be done. He is supposed to have ketone test next Monday. I know that ketone test checks for ketones in human blood or urine, but that is all I know. After all, I realized I do not know even what ketones are and why this test should be done. Can you tell me something more about this because I am interested a lot about this topic?

Ketones are substances that are made in organism, when the body breaks down fat for energy. Normally, organism gets the energy it needs from carbohydrate in diet. However, stored fat is broken down, and ketones are made. It happens if diet does not contain enough carbohydrate to supply the body with sugar or glucose. This is used for energy, but in some cases, body cannot use blood sugar properly, so the same problem occurs.
Newer home blood sugar meters can also measure ketones, as well as home urine tests to measure ketones are available nowadays. A ketone blood test is the most accurate method that is recommended for all people with diabetes. It should be done whenever symptoms of illness, such as nausea, vomiting, or abdominal pain are present. It is used to diagnose diabetic ketoacidosis when patient starts to complain about symptoms of high blood sugar. A ketone urine test is the most commonly used method of measuring ketones, but it is less accurate than a blood test.