Hello, my friends. A friend of mine has been recently diagnosed pituitary adenoma. He says that his hormones are all messed up and that he has many unpleasant symptoms. I would like to know which hormones this pituitary adenoma can mess up. Thank you in advance for fast replies to my post.

Hello. Pituitary adenomas can have two directions when we talk about hormones. If they suppress the remaining normal tissue of the gland, then there is a lack of pituitary hormones. If the adenoma itself produces hormones, then there is excessive amount of these hormones and that can be unpleasant. Prolactinoma is the most common adenoma in this area. It secretes prolactin, a hormone that is important for milk producing with pregnant women. Of this tumor makes more prolactin, then there is amenorrhea (the loss of menstrual cycles), galactorrhea (milk secreting from breasts spontaneously) and infertility with women. If this happens to a man, then there is a loss of libido and impotence. If adenomas secrete growth hormone, then there is gigantism or acromegaly depending whether it happens with adult or with children. If adenoma secrets too much adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH), it affects to adrenal glands and there is Cushing’s disease. For more details, talk to your doctor. I hope I’ve helped a little.