Hello, guys. My friend has been recently diagnosed pituitary adenoma. As far as I understand, it is a benign tumor. It doesn’t give metastases. I would like to know whether it plays role in secreting hormones. Can it have an impact on one’s organism? I will be very grateful for your replies.

Hello. Pituitary adenomas are indeed benign tumors. They don’t give metastatic lesions, but they can expand. This can damage a local brain tissue. It can also affect the rest of pituitary tissue. This tumor can secrete pituitary hormones as well. Prolactinomas are the most common types of these adenomas. It secretes prolactin and cause amenorrhea (the loss of menstrual cycle), galactorrhea (spontaneous milk excretion from breasts) and female infertility. They also cause impotence, decreased libido and hypogonadism with men. Adenomas that secrete growth hormone cause gigantism with children and acromegaly in adults. If they secrete adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH), they lead to Cushing’s disease.