Can somebody tell me what exactly means secondary sjogren's syndrome causes? That is how I am recently being diagnosed and as I understood my doc it has something to do with my rheumatoid arthritis I am suffering from years now and frankly I don't see how much further it could affect my joints since I am already taking some rheumatoid arthritis meds including COX-2 inhibitors along with prednisone that is supposed to reduce the pain and inflammation of my joints. Anyway it is been a while I am having some dry mouth and dry eyes problem and that is why –after some blood test and other exams were performed-I was diagnosed with sjogren's syndrome also and I actually haven't understood what is this sjogren's syndrome about and actually it is about some secondary sjogren's causes so I would like someone tells me some more info on this. Thanks!

Secondary sjogren's syndrome occurs in patient's diagnosed with scleroderma, lupus or rheumatoid arthritis which is your case. My mom has also developed secondary sjogren's syndrome caused by lupus condition she is suffering from for more than 3 decades now so basically being diagnosed with secondary sjogren's syndrome means it is been caused by some other underlying health condition usually involving joints inflammation. And no matter the cause of sjogren's syndrome its symptoms are always the same involving dry eyes and dry mouth caused by the lack of saliva and tear production which again my lead to some further health complications affecting lungs, liver or kidneys and it may also cause you some digestive problems such as heartburn. Anyway being diagnosed with sjogren's syndrome means you have developed an autoimmune system disorder that attack the glands producing tears and saliva and that is where this dryness problem comes from and it also my affect you skin making it dry also but if I were you from now on I would take an extra care of the oral health for my mom has developed serious dental cavities due to her sjogren's syndrome condition.

Wow, sounds like you're talking about my mom. She's had RA X 30 yrs., had tear duct plugs for dry eye 8 yrs. ago but dry mouth was never discussed: Dr. didn't warn against it and she never noticed it. That is until last month when she was told she had 6 cavities and 2 teeth needed to be pulled!!! When she saw her RA doc last week he casually mentioned how she had secondary Sjogren's ds. and this is a symptom of it.