Good afternoon there :) How are you? I am not so fine to be honest with you. I am not going to choke you with my problems and my feelings but my best friend from childhood called me today. He lives in the village and when he called me I was so happy. He told me that he is in the city and I was happy because I will be able to see him after 13 years. But, unfortunately he is in the hospital. That is why he is in the city in the first place :( He was diagnosed with Brugada syndrome.

Can you tell me is this syndrome life – threatening and is it hereditary? Thank you!

Hi Coffee,

Brugada syndrome is a heart rhythm disorder.

Yes, it can be life threatening.  It can be inherited.

There are some treatments available though.  You can reduce exposure to items that aggravate the condition OR have pacemaker implanted.

Enjoy your visit with your friend.

an icd you mean, not pacemaker. bad advice.

Hey medic-dan.
Thank you so much for your quick answer. I visited him today and he looks good. I don’t see any sign that he is sick. Maybe because he has that optimism or maybe he knows something that I don’t know. I sincerely didn’t know that brugada syndrome is heart rhythm disorder. Do you know what the best treatment is? He asked me today what I think about treatment because doctors won’t tell him a lot of things. I really hope that everything is going to be fine because I really want to spend some time with him after he gets out of the hospital.

Hello there.

I know a little bit about this because my friend has this syndrome. Well, brugada is potential life – threatening heart rhythm disorder and yes, sometimes is inherited. People with this syndrome have increased risk of abnormal hearth rhythms from the lower chambers to the heart.

Now it is very weird because some people just don’t have any symptoms and that is why they don’t know that they do have this disease.

This disease is much more common in men.

I believe that this disease is not that dangerous if it is treated right.

I hope that everything is going to be fine.

Hello everyone.

MakeMeCoffee, I need to agree with Ashley totally. Brugada syndrome is an unusual genetic disorder of the heart’s electrical system. People are usually born with it, people also don’t know that they have this syndrome until they reach 30s or even 40s. I don’t even know what symptoms can be indicator that you are having brugada syndrome.

That is why I suggest regular examinations at your doctor. I don’t know anyone who has this syndrome to tell you what you need to do exactly. I know that this is usually an inherited condition and this means that is passed down through some family member.

Hi guys. My final exam on the college was exactly about Brugada syndrome and I believe that I have learned a lot about it. This syndrome does not affect the structure of the heart and more commonly it affects men. Yes, I agree that sometimes you don’t have any symptoms but sometimes the blackout is one of the symptom and it is usually caused by a disturbance in the heart’s rhythm. Now a few words about the treatment .If you have symptoms your doctor probably will advise you to have ICD fitted. If you have abnormal ECG without symptoms your doctor is going to decide do you need ICD fitted.