Hi, I have symptomes of dry mouth, dry eyes and swollen, painful knees and joints. I got Sjogren’s disease diagnosed. How should I react to this condition in order to diminish it\s consequencies?

Sjogren’s syndrome is an autoimmune disease, what means that body starts to produce antibodies aginst it’s own tissues, in this case against glands. This results in inflammation of glands. If lacrimal glands are affected less water is produced for tears and eye becomes dry. Inflammation of salivary glands leads to mouth dryness. You suffer from secondary Sjogren’s, beside gland inflammation you have a connective tissue disease, rheumatoid arthritis. Ypur treatment may include cyclosporin eyedrops to stimulate tear glands, pilocarpin to prevent dry mouth, corticosteroids to stop inflammation process and immunosuppressive drugs.