Let's just say that I am grateful this forum provides an opportunity to ask questions anonymously. 

I am 39 and have been depressed for a while now (won't go into the circumstances, but I have had depression before as well so it's not the first time). Since recently I have... had issues with nightly bedwetting. Sometimes it wakes me up, sometimes I only notice the following day. Not only is this very embarrassing for me personally, I am both too old and too young for this kind of thing and have never had medical issues in that area, only even had a UTI once in my life. 

I am guessing this is connected with my depression, but I am not sure. Can someone give me more information?

Stress, changes in work/family, relationships, medical conditions etc. may cause adult bed wetting.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

Well, I do not know much about this, but one thing I have heard is that people suffering from depression, PTSD, and anxiety find it difficult to emotionally relax during the daytime, to the point where they find their relaxation at night and let themselves be more fully relaxed at that time. 

This can then result in things like nocturnal incontinence. A side effect of relaxation, if you like. 

What I would do is get a full physical examination to rule out physical medical conditions, and speak to your therapist about this as well. I know it's a rather personal and embarrassing problem but mental health professionals have seen it all before and can help you solve it. 

That is called enuresis and yes, it can be related to anxiety and depression, or just general stress. If you are worried about bedwetting, this will only lead to more sleep problems and perhaps make the problem worse. Of course I agree about making sure there's nothing medical going on with you, but if it is found to be due to anxiety or depression, I'd focus on therapy, antidepressants, and... use adult diapers at night just so you don't have to worry about making a mess, which gets you into a cycle of worrying about bedwetting and then doing it more.

Celebrity

Hey,

I am so sorry to hear that you are going through this. I completely understand that suddenly experiencing bedwetting as an adult is very distressing. 

Since you say you have had depression before and did not want to share much else, which is fine, you should only share what you are comfortable with, I can't be sure if you are already receiving therapy and perhaps antidepressant medication? Regardless, I thought you might like to know that Trofanil, which is a tricyclic antidepressant, is also used to treat bedwetting. If you are in treatment, this is something you may like to bring up as an option. 

Rosie

Indeed, nightly involuntary urination (bedwetting) is not an uncommon symptom of depression. While it will improve with treatment, including psychotherapy, as case studies show, this is also an awful thing to struggle with by yourself and I would encourage you to let your healthcare provider know that you are dealing with this issue. 

There are medications that specifically treat this problem as well, and considering the personal and unpleasant nature of bedwetting, why would you go on struggling when you don't have to? Seeking help for something that is perhaps considered taboo may be frightening to you, but look at it this way: if you could see symptom improvement very soon as opposed to much later, you would choose that, correct? 

I am not sure about the depression. What I can tell you is that I am also an adult bedwetter. I am not depressed, and as far as I am aware don't suffer from any medical conditions either. In examining what could be causing the bedwetting, which happens perhaps once or twice a week, less now recently fortunately since I have made some lifestyle adjustments, I tried this:

* Cut way back on alcohol consumption
* Trained myself to drink less water before bedtime, really no more water two hours prior to going to bed, but drink as much as I want through the day other than that.
* Really having a rigid bedtime schedule, 11 pm sharp every night and without electronics in the bedroom. I get up at the same time every day including weekends as well.
* Always use the bathroom before bed.

It seems like the frequency of bedwetting is going down now, so I would suggest you try the same and see if it makes any difference.

Yes, those are great starting tips especially if you do know there is nothing wrong physically. If those do not work then Trofanil is one of the main drugs used to treat bed-wetting in children and adults, and it really works well. This is also an antidepressant so it might catch two birds with one stone.

One thing you need to know about Trofanil is that you really do need to take it exactly as directed to make sure that you keep side effects to a minimum. Apart from that it is good so perhaps discuss it with your doctor?

Celebrity

Hey,

Considering the personal nature of your issue and the potential embarrassment (which, it is totally not your fault!) I understand that you may feel reluctant to check in again to tell us how you have been getting on, Anon, but I was just wondering how you are doing now and if any of the suggestions made to you here have made any difference. 

When you are already depressed, I can imagine that something like adult bedwetting would only draw you deeper into that vortex of doom as it were, so I was hoping for some kind of update from you. 

Rosie

No, everything is still the same. I tried using the bathroom before bed, not drinking anything in the last few hours before I head to bed, quit alcohol, and despite that, I still have the occasional "accident" like before. I was sincerely hoping that I could cure the bedwetting with home remedies of some kind, but it seems not.

I will add that I have put on quite a lot of weight since being depressed. Eating is my comfort. And I can't bring myself to exercise. I have not done any exercise in over 2 years. I am wondering whether this could be related as well.

In my place, would you see a doctor about the bedwetting?

Wow, I'm sorry you are going through this!

Yes, I would absolutely without a doubt see a doctor about this. You may be right that your bedwetting is a side effect of the depression, but for all you know, you could have a physical problem like a weak pelvic floor as well. You will not know for sure until you get yourself checked out by a doctor. It might be embarrassing to walk in and admit you are struggling with incontinence, but it is also the only way to make things better: nothing you have tried yourself has made a difference.

Just see a doctor.

Hi I have just come onto this sight for the same thing my boyfriend at 33 suffers depression and although normally he does not wet the bed it happens only at this time when he is not coping and depressed so there must be a link.