Hello there,

I was wondering what is this connection between depression and mood changes. My best friend is suffering from depression and I am really doing my best to actually understand him. But he has these weird mood changes, it is not like he is happy today and sad tomorrow, it is more like he is happy now and his mood changes to sad in a matter of minutes. It is hard to hang out with him when he is like this.

Since I really want to understand him more, I was wondering if anyone here could tell me more about this matter.

It is just that there are these black thoughts that are messing up with your brain. Even if he is super happy, these black thoughts can come back to him at anytime and they just take over him, and there is nothing you can do about it. Once he starts thinking about them, once he goes down that road, his mood changed to bad again and it won't get better until something makes him feel good and happy again. Then when that happens, this story happens again and it is a never ending circle until the person fighting depression finally wins over it.

I see.

It makes a lot of sense, I thought about the same thing, it is like, he can't control his thoughts at all so they are actually controlling him.

Do you have any advice on how should I react when something like this happens? This is the first time ever that I am hanging out with someone who is suffering from depression so this is all pretty much new to me. But he is a good guy, a really good guy and I want to do whatever it takes to be there for him and help him, so any advice is appreciated.

Depressed people want your attention, but they don't want a lot of it. Ask him how is he feeling from time to time and don't try to give him any advice, just try to be there and listen to him, and acknowledge what he is saying to you.

You can't help him with his mood changes, that's for sure, that is going to be like that for as long as he is feeling depressed. But you can certainly help him overcome this by being there for him because usually, depressed people have no one around them to be there for them.

You just need to accept the fact that this is something that happens when someone is suffering from depression. You know how they say, you should never try to change a person, you can only accept them as they are. Well, right now your friend is suffering from depression and you cannot help him get better, not directly that is, but you can be there for him and offer your time, of course. Deni is right, depressed people just want someone to listen to them and pay attention to them, however, if you contradict them, it is not going to end good.

Hey there. For someone it is hard to explain, but I think that there is nothing much easier than explain things like this. Look, one thing you really need to know - mood disorders are a category of illnesses that describe a serious change in mood, so I believe that this is telling you all about this. About this connection. Obviously, you are having some issues and depressed people really need to be in the center of the attention for some reason. If they are not, well we are in huge problem than. Black thoughts can be really bad and they are usually the main reason for the depression.

There is nothing that you can do about this indeed. No one can't help your friend about his mood changes that led him to the depression. It is a bit hard to understand this, but that is the way it is. So, I can understand that you really want to understand him, but that is not possible even if in some cases you were in this situation. You can help him if you want to by spending some time with him, if you want to be there for him letting him know that you understand what he is going through. 

Mood changes can really be a bad thing in the life. I had this mood disorder - I was depressed and I was eating so much and trust me, whoever wanted to help me, there was no chance about this. No one was able to help me, no one was able to be there for me because I didn't want no one to be around me. But after a while, when I realized that no one is here, I wanted to have some extra attention and I started to make some silly things in my life. That was a bad idea as well. So if you want to listen to me, it is OK to be there for him, but don't push him or be boring. You can only make him more depressed.

I agree with you Guest. I think that everyone should find a way to help his friend when he is depressed or when he doesn't want to have no one around him, but you need to understand that mood changes are something totally different than those changes that you had. 

Mood disorders are really bad things and when someone is having them, there is nothing that you can do about it. Absolutely nothing.

Sure, you can let this person to know that you are here, but that is all that you can do. The only thing that someone can do about this is to be with this person...be by his side. Nothing else.