Hi everyone,

I have been wondering if bedwetting is connected with depression or anxiety. I heard some people say that they wet their beds but that it is not their fault, it is because of depression and anxiety, otherwise they would have never done it. Are these just excuses or do people suffering from depression and anxiety really tend to wet their beds? 

If this is true, I am wondering what exactly causes them to do stuff like that. Is it too much fear or what? It seems weird for adults to wet their beds even because of their depression and anxiety.

This type of disorder is called Enuresis. That's right, this is actually a disorder and it can be caused by a number of things, and two of these things are anxiety and depression.

It is rather uncommon, you know. It is quite common when it comes to kids aged 5, but as they grow up, everyone gets over it so the only people who wet their beds later on in life are the ones with this disorder. And it is most likely that anxiety or depression caused this. Other causes are a small bladder, persistent urinary tract infection, and developmental delays that interfere with toilet training.

There are a number of reasons for bedwetting. Genetics, constipation, depression, small bladder and more. However its important to note that in most cases, bedwetting can be stopped and you can have a normal balanced life with dry nights. Medical practitioners generally recommend DDAVP (a drug) in combination with bedwetting alarms (over the counter) to combat bedwetting.
Hope this is helpful.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

I don't think that medications are the best solution here. I personally don't like the use of medications when there has to be a way to treat this naturally, you know.

It is quite connected to anxiety and depression. I don't know what exactly causes this, I didn't really study about it or anything similar, I just know that it is possible (because I happen to know one person who had trouble with this). This person went to talk to her psychologist and he told her that it happened because of her depression and once she got better, she stopped bedwetting.

There are so many reasons why people have bad experience with it.  Bed - wetting can actually happen to anyone of any age, and it doesn't matter if you are male or female.  Certain medications can actually cause or increase the likelihood of bed - wetting, but I also do believe that medications are not the best solution to deal with it. Bladder problems and dementia can cause this problem in older people, but if you are younger, it has definitely something with the depression. It can be an alarm that your body really struggles hard with something and you should find the cause. 

That is one problem that I never had. Now, you will tell that it is easy for me to tell, but here is one advice. The first thing is to try to stop stressing out about your bedwetting. You should deal with it, and you know why it's happening in the most of the cases, so you should really let it go and deal with it. As much as you think about this, the worse problem will be. Sure, there are unpleasant aspects to it, but so far as the psychological, and emotional hang ups including embarrassment and or shame you have about that. Next step that you need to do is to seek for physiological help. He will find the exact cause of your problem and he will give your proper therapy as well.

Hello there. Look, I need to tell you that I disagree with you Coraima. I think that once you let this problem go, you will forget that you are having this problem. Or any other problem as well. So, you should not let it go at all. True, bed - wetting is connected with anxiety, depression and stress at so many different ways. Bed - wetting sometimes can be an alarm and that is why you need to seek for help about this whole situation. Don't let it go, at all, but I agree that you should stop asking yourself why this happens to you. Go to see the doctor, tell him about this and I am sure that very soon he will find the solution for your problems.

There is a solution for every problem, you must always remember that. However, for some problems, the solution hasn't been found yet, but that doesn't mean in any way that the solution isn't out there somewhere or that it doesn't exist.

Bedwetting is connected to depression and anxiety, that is for sure. It is quite well known that people suffering from anxiety or depression are prone to developing this bedwetting disorder. It is something that a person should talk to his or her doctor about and two of them need to find the best way to treat this, regarding of the person.