Hey there! I really need your help to understand the condition in which I am currently. So as soon as I started to be depressed for some family issues, I started to gain a lot of weight. I don't know is this something that I imagined, but I believe that there is a connection between those two ugly things. While I was not depressed, I was good looking. As soon as I started to be depressed I started to gain weight and it is not like I was eating more than usually. Tell me, is there any connection between depression and obesity?

Yes, there is. If you think about it, it is all going to make a lot of sense.

When you are depressed, you stop doing things you would normally do, therefore you stop exercising, training, or whatever, you really don't feel like doing anything. However, you still feel like eating. You feel like eating 24/7. So you start eating all the time, and you start eating unhealthy food. If you look at it this way, it is easy to see that you are going to gain weight very quickly and you won't be doing anything in order to remove this weight.

There is a connection which goes both ways.

Obese people are likely to become depressed and depressed people are likely to become obese (or to at least gain a lot of weight and quite fast).

When you are obese, it is easy to get depressed, I don't have to explain that. You can't do a lot of things normal people can because of your weight, and it's normal that you will start feeling down because of it.

On the other hand, when you are depressed, it is easy to find comfort in food and in the blink of an eye, you gained weight.

Well, you didn't gain weight without any apparent reason, am I right? You should have wrote immediately that you started eating a lot after you started suffering from depression. I mean, what are you trying to find out here, what are you hoping to hear? Depression makes you want to just lie in your bed and not do anything, you stop exercising, you stop making love or having sex, so there are no ways for you to lose calories. On the other hand, you just keep eating and before you can even notice it, you gained weight and you still keep on gaining it.

Hello there.

First, I really need to know how old are you? I am asking this because obesity and depression are very common when it comes about adolescents and teenagers. That is why I would like to know how old are you.

There are so many different researches about this whole situation. For example, some of those studies will tell you that if you are not satisfied with yourself and your body, there are so many chances that you can be depressed because of it.

So, basically, yes - there are some visible connection between depression and obesity, it makes a lot of sense. 

Hello there guys. First, I really want to thank you because you gave me so many useful explanations and answers to my questions. I am following some diet program at the moment, but I am not so sure that it is going to help me. Anyway, let me answer on your question - I am not a teenager. I am 31 years old and that is why I know that this has nothing to do with it. You are totally right. When I am depressed I start to behave differently and I really don't know what is my main problem. I start to eat, sometimes because I am sad and sometimes because I am bored. What to do to stop this?

Hey, you do know what is your problem. You do know that you eat a lot when you are depressed and that is why you are gaining a lot of weight, that is normal conclusion. 

The next thing that you should do is to find a proper model to avoid this. You should find a way to avoid food when you are depressed. I know that this is really hard, but instead of eating some junk food, you should try to eat something that is healthy, fruit for example.

It is all in your mind and once you learn how to control it, you will be ok. I am sure.