Hi! I have 14 years old son. He has problem with bedwetting since he was three years old. His problem bothers me a lot. I tried everything. My friend suggested some kind of psychotherapy. What do you think does he need professional help?

Hi! My daughter had a problem with bedwetting. Behavioral therapy helped her a lot. I think that she is cured. Your son should try with this kind therapy. Also he needs to reduce quantity of fluids they drink before going to bed. Sometimes is helpful going to the toilet just before going to bed.

my nephew who is 8 started bed wetting alot and it was because he drank milk be4 he went to bed

my son is 14 and wets day and night and gose to the bathroom12-14 times a day and the doctor is trying to tell me he is fine...

We read your blog posting, and would like to help. We work with the Enuresis Treatment Center. For 32 years, the Enuresis Treatment Center has successfully treated thousands of people from around the world who thought there was no hope for ending bedwetting. Bedwetting, or enuresis, is actually caused by deep sleep, not to be mistaken for healthy sleep. This deep sleep causes a disconnect between the brain and bladder, and the bedwetting occurs as a result. Very rarely does one outgrow bedwetting, and if they do, they are left with a sleep disorder that can manifest into other forms, such as sleep apnea, insomnia, etc.
The Enuresis Treatment Center has put together an informative guide to understanding and treating bedwetting. This free bedwetting guide is available to download ****

**edited by moderator**

My son had Nocturnal Enuresis right through till his late teens, Minirin Nasal spray could fix it easilly.

**edited by moderator**

What nmartin said is absolutely BS! I turn 18 in on month and I did not overcome bed wetting until I was about 16 years old. I was and still under the growth chart and behind in growing (late bloomer) but I did overcome it.

In the mean time, while waiting to overcome it, you can go to the doctor and you can do everything you want but my family and I just bought plastic covers for th mattress that they do make so you don't spoil the mattress.
It is very upsetting, I know. I went through with it. I hated sleeping over friends house in fear I would pee the bed. It is very embarrassing. However, I had gracious friends. I wet the bed 2 times while at other friends houses and you know what, they were great about it. It really tells you who your friends are.

Thanks,
Yours Truly

My son actually wet the bed almost every night until he was 15 1/2. It was fairly embarrassing for him - but we just tried to be as supportive as possible, and made sure to never make him feel bad. The frequency of his bed wetting increased significantly right before, or at the start of puberty. All the doctors said it was simply because his bladder was not growing as fast as the rest of his body - and that it would catch up and the wetting would stop. They were right - it was as if a switch was turned, and suddenly it didn't happen again. He just turned 18, and has not wet in well over 2 years.

Teenage enuresis is a difficult problem to deal but with lots of support and encouragement your child can learn to cope with it. Our doctor has been extremely supportive and helpful. Our teenager has learnt how to deal with it emotionally and now doesn't allow it to bother him. He understands that it is a medical problem and so has stopped blaming himself and feeling embarrassed and has got to the stage where he will explain his problem to his close friends.. He goes camping and holidaying with his friends and family and tries to live a normal life as possible. The only restriction he places on himself is sleepovers and trips with school. About 6 mths ago I agreed to let him go on desmopressin and oxybutynin (for a possibly overactive bladder). For the first time ever in nearly 16 years he has been dry for 3 weeks! The next stage is to ween him off the medication and wait to see what happens!

Hi ! Theres hope for bedwetting kids of all ages! After my daughter wet the bed for 15 yrs, we found out its an easy fix. Theres a hormone the body produces for the kidneys to hold the urine up from the bladder during sleeping hours. My kid didnt produce enough of it and her bladder got overfilled. The hormone is called DDVAP. The doctors start it with a dose thats usually not enough,so we didnt think it worked. It does work. A little patience in trail and error finding the right amount~Problem solved! DONT PUT YOUR KIDS THRU THOSE HORRIBLE ABUSIVE MEDICAL TESTS!! GOOD LUCK N GOD BLESS!

My son will be 15 in may. He still has nightly enuresis. We have tried the ddavp with not luck. I am curious to know at what dosage others have used that workd. The dr has had him on 0.4mg with not effect. This is our second time trying this. We tried the pills and nasal spray when he was in elementary school with not success.

For us - it just went away naturally when he was 14/15. We never medicated...just allowed nature to take it's course and for his body to finish developing...

I have three children aged 11 13 and 16 the eldest is my daughter and my two sons are the youngest. My wife passed away shortly after Georgia's 12th birthday and ever since all three have been bedwetting virtually every night. The volume of washing became just too much after a year of hoping this problem would go away. I needed a solution, I took them all to a family therapy clinic. While I think it helped them move on they still didn't stop wetting in the night.  

I decided  enough was enough, Georgia was coming to a really important point in her education and constantly interrupted sleep wasn't helping her grades. So i sat them all down and showed them a pack of nappies (Diapers) they were a little taken aback when they saw them but I didn't have any other way of broaching the subject. They were all completely silent looking at each other. 

Georgia stood up, opened the packet and pulled one out. She examined it while the boys look on with sheer intrigue. She didn't say anything, just took the nappy and left the room the boys and I looked at each other and I said to them what do you think? All I got was silence. 

Georgia opened the door to the lounge where we were all sitting and said "i can't do it, can you help me?" so we went up to her room she took off her pyjama bottoms and knickers. I didn't know where too look I hadn't seen Georgia naked since she was about four years old. She said "come on Dad, just help me" so I did. She'd already undone the nappy so I slid it under her bottom pulled the nappy through her legs and tightened the tapes around her waste. 

She stood up and it was like she was two years old again. She gave me a hug and told me everything was going to be ok. Georgia went downstairs but she didn't put her pyjama bottoms back on she was just in the nappy. 

She walked in the living room and the boys were both looking at the nappies Sammy had one out and was looking at it and Robbie was just watching. Georgia told Sammy to lie down, he did and she put the nappy on him. She then said Robbie it's your turn, he said "no I'm not a baby" she said to him "I'm not a baby am I, I'm wearing one, you'll sleep better if you wear one of these. Sammy's wearing one". Anyway after about five minutes she managed to convince him and she put him into the nappy. 

Once they were all standing in the living room wearing their nappies they looked so cute. It took me back to when my wife was alive and the children were little. 

I have tried to wean them off the nappies but they claim it helps them feel closer to their mum, i think they've become a kind of safety blanket. Now I can't take them away and I almost have three teenagers wearing nappies. The odd thing is Georgia still has sleep overs and she even gets her friends to wear nappies when they are here. All three of them come home from school and get straight into their nappies and a T-shirt and thats all they wear around the house, they eat, watch TV, play games, do homework even go in the garden in nappies. They are the happiest they have been since their mother passed away. I'm happy if they're happy and they are happy wearing nappies. 

I must admit I think they look really cute in nappies and they still act like children they aren't trying to grow up too fast. The girls in Georgia's class have all got boyfriends but Georgia isn't interested in boys or relationships she's happy just being a kid. So I wonder have I accidentally discovered the key to stopping our teenage daughters growing up so fast they miss out on their entire childhood?

how did you over come it ... did it just stop? I'm 19 and it still happens my parents rarely ever let me have sleep overs because theyre protecting me from the embaressment but i have never had a problem until just a few nights ago when i feel asleep on accident out for the night ... none of my friends knew until then and now i dont even want to show my face infront of them as understanding as they were ... i feel like its kind of ruining my chance at having a normal life and its never going to go away ... i couldnt even go away to school... instead im still living with my parents.. what happens when one day i want to get married and move in with my husband... we will have to have separate beds... i really want to fix this so if you know how pleaseee your help would be much appreciated please

Please watch the desmospressin and oxybutynin. My daughter's doctor increased her dosage because it was not helping her and unbeknown to me, her sodium level began to decline until she became so deathly sick I had to race her to the ER. She was in the hospital for 2 days! The doctors said she could've either had a seizure, coma or death due to the sodium level being so low. Just letting you know so you are aware -- maybe have his levels checked just to see that he is not dropping below the normal 140 level.