i suddenly felt i had a dry throat i had a drink of water and it still persisted so i went to the bathroom tried to drink more water and i felt i couldent swallow and i felt that i had a lump in my throat and i tried to dislodge it and i was suddenly choking loosing my breath and my son called the ambulance and i was admitted over night and i found out i had an enlarge uvula whats the prognosis

Uvulitis

At times, the mucous membrane around the uvula may swell, causing the uvula to expand 3–5 times its normal size. When the uvula touches the throat or tongue, it can cause sensations like gagging or choking, even though there is no foreign matter present. This can cause problems breathing, talking, and eating.

There are many theories about what causes the uvula to swell, including dehydration (e.g. from arid weather); excessive smoking or other inhaled irritants; snoring; allergic reaction; or a viral or bacterial infection.

If the swelling is caused by dehydration, drinking fluids may improve the condition. If the cause is a bacterial infection, gargling salt water may help. However, it can also be a sign of other problems. Some people with a history of recurring uvulitis have to carry an EpiPen containing Adrenaline (Epinephrine) to inject themselves whenever the uvulitis begins. A swollen uvula is normally not life threatening and subsides in a short time, typically within a day.