Hey everyone,
I am 18 and i had my tonsils out ten days ago after getting tonsilitis 5times in 3 months. My tonsils were bigger than walnuts! Anyways, yesterday the scabs began to fall off on my way to work and i gagged horribly on them. I had to leave work after about a half hour because i could not stop gagging. I then realized my uvula was extremely swollen - but my doctor had not warned me about this symptom. Has anyone else experienced this?
At this point it is so swollen that i cannot speak without gagging. I have said nothing for over 24 hours and i am walking around with a pen and paper so people don't think i am crazy. I also had to sleep sitting straight up last night because i kept waking up choking! I didn't sleep to say the least. Anyone have any ideas?

I had a tonsillectomy on the 3rd April and I've experienced the same thing.
My jaw feels like it's about to fall off where the doc must have been a bit harsh with clamping it open. That's probably my biggest problem because it's preventing me from chewing. I've got a really scabby throat and an unnaturally large uvula. It's hard to swallow and I can't even speak without gagging.

I find the biggest relief is toast. It loosens the scabs at the back of the throat (but is really painful to eat) in the long run it does more good than harm. I've been looking around for people who have suffered with a swollen uvula as not many of my friends (who have had their tonsils out) had that. I'm getting a little worried as the rest of my throat is starting to heal, but the uvula isn't going down. I'm on pain killers called co-dydromol and boy do they relieve the pain for a good couple of hours!

I'm slowly on the mend, but the doc reckons it will be near 2 more weeks before I'm fully recovered.
Has anyone else experienced a swollen uvula and it's eventually gone back to normal?

Kellie

hey i had my tonsils removed April 11th & my uvula is a quite swollen (again the doc didn't mention this) Whats slightly more worrying is that its a very deep purple colour! i'm guessing thats blood, which from a quick look round the internet doesn't sound life threatening.

havent suffered too much with scabs as i've been trying to eat normally since day 1. still looks a bit gross down there tho, & still have a bad taste in my mouth!

Hi, I had my tonsillectomy on 30th March and I've experienced the same type of thing - admittedly I'm 41 and things tend to be worse the older you get (and I can definately testify to that!).

I had to sleep sitting up but after about 2 weeks this eased for me. Over the last weekend (21-22 April) talking seems to have got a little better, though its far from perfect. I also had problems with what ever I drink dribbling out of my nose (if I had my head inclined downwards at all) ..... I suspect this is all connected to the uvula being swollen and not performing its tasks correctly.

But definately feel like I on the road to recovery now, all be it still a long way to go and just over 3 weeks since my op.

Good luck

I had my tonsils out on the 17th of April and I am finding it hard to eat, in fact I'm not really eating at all. All I am eating is ice lollies which are getting kind of boring now.Potatoes were a horrible experience as were toast and pizza and garlic bread and pasta!So I am very stuck in what to eat!If anyone has any ideas on what to eat please tell me, I'm soooo hungry.(ice lollies aren't very filling!) I also had a swollen uvula and I tried a tiny bit of yoghurt and I started to choke! So I know what you are all going through!My uvula is almost back to it's usual size now which is one good thing! I find a good drink is capri sun and ice lollies boring as they are, are extremely soothing!So I hoped that helps with some people and that you can help me!Hope you all start to feel better. :-)

I had my tonsillectomy on 4/16/07 and I am 35. While the pain hasn't been too bad, the uvula and tongue have bothered me the most. Specially when it comes to sleeping. I have been sleeping on an incline for 8 days now. I have seen some improvement but not much. I keep drinking everything cold and I still use and ice pack on my neck. Ice has been my best friend, within the first 3 days I went through 7 pounds of ice. I must keep drinking my fluids or the pain begins. Just now started to eat toast, so we shall see if that helps. I did not eat ice cream, I ate sherbet instead. To avoid the phlegm, I already have enough problems breathing, I don't need any more. I hope that at some point my uvula will return to normal. For now I sound a bit weird when I talk.

Leave the scabs alone. I was 18 when I had my tonsils out and nobody told me what that white stuff was. I didn't like it so I stood in the mirror hacking til' they came off and then I went to bed and the next thing I know blood is gushing out of my mouth. I know they are nasty and make you feel like you have a throat full of goobers. BUT that needs to fall off on its own and slowly. NO TOAST. Nothing scratchy. It will scratch the scabs and then you will have trouble. BE patient. REST & DRINK. You will get bettter. Everyday will be better and better

Hi all, I am 21 and I am presently on day 6 of the recovery from my tonsillectomy. I have to say the pain is extremely random. I"ll have a good day then a bad day then a good day. The nastiest thing has been the swollen uvula. I had no idea that would happen either, but apparently the doctor warned my parents about that. I've tried to not look at my throat since I dont want to irritate it. Eating has been tough, I've mainly stuck to Jell-O and Ice pops although yesterday and today I've been able to get some matzah ball soup down, and today...even some pasta. It's tough though, and chewing feels like an olympic sport. I've slept a LOT, i find that I barely have any energy to do anything. It was nice to come across this board and read about other people going through the same thing. I wish you all the best of luck. To those of you who are healed...how long did it take? right now i talk very strangely so i was wondering when i'll be able to talk normally and eat normally. thanks guys!

I have had a very painful recovery from having tonsils removed. It is very rough. My uvula is extremely swollen and I am on day 7. I am 18 years old. When will my uvula start to go back to normal? I am gagging it is so large.

hey im 17 and i just got my tonsils out three days ago and im doing pretty fine. the only thing thats really bothering me is the really sticky clear plem and this extra long uvula that i have. I cant lie straight or i will choke and. swallowing isnt so bad now, but herd that days 4-6 is the worst..is that true?? and like which days will the scabs come off and when will the sticky phlem STOP!!! i hate that i feel like i want to spit but my mom wont let me!!

i had my tonsils removed yesterday, june 15th and my uvula is significantly swollen to about 3 times its normal size. However, my doctor informed me that this is typical, and that it would appear transparent, because of how much it stretches. It does. I havent found anything that has helped much with the swelling, but I'm sure talking only a little bit, and chewing ice could be potential remedies.

thanks for everyone else's help.

Also, I was also told to allow the scabs to come off on their own to reduce bleeding. This will also prevent the patient from throwing up due to blood which drips to the stomach. Just another tip!

had my tonsils removed 3 days ago (25 year old female) in a hell of a lot more pain than i had been led to beleive i would be in.
My tonsils were very large and unhealthy feel as though half my mouth has been taken out. Had a very swollen uvula horrible dangling down the back of your throat got given some steroids at they hospital but they didnt work. In agony especially in a morning, soluble volterol is good for the pain once it gets in your system.
Everyone says it will be worth it in the long run having your tonsils out, i really do hope so having gone through probably the most painful experience of my life.

I got my tonsils out, and am on day 5...The mornings are the worst, and haven't eaten anything in 5 days. All i've actually had is water. I've tried to eat, but everytime i do, i feel like i am going to die. I am tired alot, and the pain meds i am on are very strong. When do the scabs come off, and when can i eat again? Somebody help me!!! And the doc said i can't eat chocolate, anything red or basically anyhting tht i can tolerate. So i can't have chocolate pudding, which sucks. Anyways help!!

I also have the swollen uvula problem. I thought it would be over in a few days, until I read these posts. I'm on day 5 now, and after reading this thread, I'm now mentally prepared to deal with this issue for till at least day 10. I'll just continue to refuse talking or gargling too much.

This morning I had it come out over my tongue as I tried to gently gargle the thick c**p out of my throat. I freaked out for a minute as I tried to push that sucker back in and felt the gag reflex push it back out. I thought I'd end up throwing up, or hurting my uvula if i tried to swallow it. I finally decided to just fill my mouth up with water and swallow hard, and it all went back to normal.. whew! No more taking chances with gargling for me... well, i'm not a quick learner. I'll just say I'll be even gentler next time.

Despite hearing alot of people talk about drinking ice water and ice cream and ice this and that, I found that for me, cold and clear liquids made me feel more pain. Pea soup was the first thing I found that lessened the pain for me, on day 1 and 2. It was warm and thicker than the water I had been drinking, so it was semi-cushiony in my throat and it felt like the healing parts weren't creating so much friction with each other. I think of it like putting oil in my car, it lets the parts move smoothly against each other.

I just had a small warm meal of macaroni & cheese with canned corn, canned carrots, and canned beans and it felt great, but the cold water i'm drinking right hurts a bit more.

Well, I'm looking forward to feeling my swollen uvula all week. Woohoo.

My daughter is on her 11th day after surgery and still has a hard time eating. She prefers to drink water and prefers to eat boxed macaroni & cheese or miso soup. She is taking pain medicine every 3 to 4 hours and
wakes up 2 times at night begging for pain meds. She doesn't talk much because it hurts and when she does she sounds like a deaf person. The Dr. never told us it was going to be this bad nor did he tell us that she would be 2 weeks out of school and no exercise for 3 weeks. We need to be careful from week 2 to week 3 because thats when there is a possibility of bleeding.
Someone tell me why the in the "old days" people say it was only a 3 day to 1 week of pain and thats it?