sometimes (and this morning also) my husband wakes up with extremely enlarged uvula… The uvula is so large, that he cannot swallow or he hardly does. This is not a constant condition… it happens once in two months. It always happens through the night and then it is gone till the evening. We have no idea what this might be. Has anyone any suggestions? Thanks for advice!!!

Hey there, I think your husband should see a physician and discus this situation with doc. Enlarged uvula could be a life threatening situation… not necessary, but anything could happen. Maybe he is allergic to something. It is not necessary that food or other things he hasn’t been allergic to in the past, do not cause him to enlarge uvula…maybe it is allergic to them now…

hi,

it happened to me and exactly the same. it gets swallen usually around 2-3AM and lasts till about in the afternoon. actually the really bad part lasts tfor about 3-4 hours and then then it's not so swollen anymore.
i just went today to have an allergy test/blood work done but of course they didn't find anything. the doctor sugessted surgery. it's the firts time I heard this, I mean removal of the uvula. I had already a major surgery on my knee 2 years ago and I am not sure if I would like to go in another surgery.
take care and let me know if you could find anything connected to the swelling of the uvula.
Tavi

ok i wake up with this same thing once every month or 2. now this is very scary to me that u said this is life threataning, because i dont have medical insurance and i can afford to do any of this stuff you are saying. ive had an alergic test before, and nothing came up, so idk what it would be

My best friend woke up this morning with an enlarged uvula .... He says it has never happened to him before. He got drunk and was throwing up last night unfortunatly. We do not know if that has anything to do with it. But so as you guys all say it goes away by the afternoon so we are good thankyou.

I too woke up with an enlarged uvula. It is hanging down low I think it is touching my tongue. Last night I had chips and salsa and a wet burrito and alot of beer. This has happened before in the past and it always seems it was the morning after drinking. I have problems with severe constipation also, I wonder if it might be related. I do not drink often. Maybe it was the beer that I drank?

Same here! I woke up this morning and felt something in the back of my throat and its touching the back of my tongue. I had Mexican food for dinner last night and lots of Margaritas. Maybe this is related somehow. Either the Mexican food or the alcohol. I hope it goes away. It's freaking me out right now!

This person that ate chips and salsa might be on to something. Last night I had a chips and salsa meal with lots of jalopenos and this morning I woke up and could hardly swallow. If I were to guess, mine was from a jalopeno overdose mixed with a bit of snorring.

an enlarged uvula can also be a sign of dehydration. So drink plenty of water based fluids.

Most of the time the reason why the uvula swells is becasue of dehydration after drinking or smoking. It generally comes over night becasue that is when you get dehydrated cus your sleeping and not drinking off your hang over. It can also be caused when you sleep from breathing in very arid dry weather....especially winter time (duh right). then you have your allergy or sleep apnea which is not nearly as common as the other three reasons but does happen. It is only life thretening if it is sweeling because of sleep apnea or an allergy becasue if it is sleep apnea you can actually block off your airway during sleep and well Stop breathing and the same goes for the allergy issue. Hope that helps!

Allergic reaction! No cure and causes are unknown per my ENT. I have had it before , as many others here, in the am and it usually goes away. It has now been 29 hrs and the swelling is coming down. It is a form of edema that makes it so large. My dr gave me a steroid injection immediately and put me on Zyrtec and steroids for 6 days. He says that Benadryl is not as good but works in an emergency. He gave me refills to have on hand in case it happens again. We believe it was food. It started at 4 am, my face was itching and my eyes were swollen in addition to the uvula. I had leftovers for lunch and by the time I was at the specialist at 3pm I was having my second attack, my uvula remained swollen the entire day but itching started again and I had lumps forming inside my mouth (cheek and lip area). I had another attack about 10pm last night with just slight itching on my cheeks and a little lip swelling.. It just has to get out of your system. BTW...he says stress can also bring this on. I have been under a lot of stress and have had the food I ate many times before, but I guess the combo was too much for my system.
At least I could speak correctly this morning. It is now Tues. @ almost noon, it is still swollen but not even close to what it was yesterday!
**Also...my regular dr had never seen this before so thats why I was sent to the ENT. So just be aware that this problem may be unknown by a regular dr. The ENT immediately knew what it was and what to do! Hope this will be of some help! :D

Dont, Panic about life threating, yes it is dangerous but you can breathe threw your nose, I have this condition, about once a week, I am seeking surgery for it, Causes can be many Drink relaxes the upper palet in the back of your mouth cause (sleep apena and the elongating of the Uvula), Allergic reation to food, pollen (air born things) medicine swells the uvula, yes it is scary to wake up with this condition, but as your pallet stiffens you awaken the uvula contracts back to its normal shape. My condition is from sleep apena my upper pallet relaxes to the point it blocks my air way, your may not, do you have sleep apena? do you snore? ask your spouse to video tape you sleep, you will be surprised at what happens while your asleep, consult a doctor.Removing the upper pallet is or at least the Uvula are the only options I have found so far , I use a steroid spray in the back of my throut for now it helps but its no cure.Surgry in the mouth is scary do to slow healing. So refain for Drinking,sleeping pills, medicines that makes you sleepy, allergic things and think about a humidifirer in your bed room. Finding a doctor that supports surgary may be the hardest part. good luck and God bless you all

Hi I have woken up with an enlarged uvula. I have been battling sore throats and congestion for the past two weeks, but this is the first time I have had this problem. It is so big it literally lays on my tongue, I could pull it out if i wanted to. I'm encouraged that this is caused by dryness, which I have a humidifier but it doesn't work that well. Hopefully in a few hours the swelling will go down. I can breathe normally but it catches everytime I swallow.

I too have never had this problem, but the last post sums it up I think. I was definately drinking last night, which leads to dehydration and so the problem is probably something linked to dehydration, sleeping, snoring, and air going in and out of the mouth.

thx guys