Hi I am 3 months post tonsillectomy. At my post op visit, i was healed about 90%. About a month after, In October, and till this day, i feel like something has changed within my uvula, soft palate area. After eating most of the time, it feels like my uvula gets swollen and rests on my tongue, but i dont think its actually swollen. When my throat bothers me, i look in the mirror and sometimes i see red/purple veins at the top of my uvula, and also the back of my throat has many visible red veins, and even i think seems like its inflamed/swollen. Seems like my soft palate has dropped lower than what it was before surgery, but who knows maybe it wasnt and i never paid attention. All i know is that when i went back to my ENT 6 weeks post op he said he saw nothing wrong and just some scar tissue. So i went for 2nd opinion and he said seems like acid reflux burns. I had endoscopy few weeks ago, and the GI DR said not much acid burns but i do have a duodenal ulcer. Ive been seeing my allergist also, and she thinks it could be from post nasal drip and allergies. Im just frustrated, Im going back to my ENT this week to get it looked at again. Just wondering if this is similar to anyone elses experience ? And how long did it take to resolve completely till the scar tissue i guess calms down. Maybe since my tonsils arent being attacked now, perhaps the other parts of my throat are ? Ive read online that some people take up to 6 months to a year to completely heal with everything. Would appreciate any thoughts and experiences.

Hi there , how are you feeling today, I am 3 1/2 months post tonsillectomy also, my symptoms involves like a feeling of dryness, soreness, scratchy feeling on my throat , soreness which kinda radiate to my neck and ears, I don't know if you have those symptoms, it's not really painful , ITS ANNOYING!!!!! The fact that it takes awhile scares me a lot. But a lot of posters says it's scars, I think it is because I can see using a light shows darken area where the tonsils are still red surrounded by kinda white tissues, as what one posters say , toughing out the scarring is the issue now, easier said than done as of this moment, you'll be on your seventh or sixth mon by now I guess, do you feel much better? What I need right now to tell you the truth is good conversation to somebody who actually had this experience . Feel more better miss country girl13.

Hey. I'm 8 months post op. The uvula thing has been much better, but the throat redness / inflammation has not. But I've been struggling with allergies and my immune system has been really upregulated upon some blood results. Now I'm wondering if since removing my tonsils it has taken a toll on my immune system. 1 month after surgery I have been dealing with hives, asthma, and food reactions that seem to inflame the tissues of my throat. I've been seeing a functional med dr and he has concluded its most likely leaky gut syndrome from high igg response to gluten and dairy from blood work which is making my immune system go all sorts of crazy...... If you are experiencing this pain I would highly suggest you see your ENT and explain what's going on. I understand your discomfort.

What I've found to be of any help are : menthol lozenges for pain and inflammation of my throat there's a halls brand that's 15 mg high strength it works wonders !! Sometimes gargling with warm water and salt helps. Warm tea with honey should be soothing. Marshmallow root tea is supposed to be great for lining the throat mucous membranes. I have found ice cubes and sorbet or ice pops help to kind of numb the area too. Also, give acupuncture or Chinese herbal medicine a try :)

Hi there thanks so much for the response and your advice, I just went to my ent doc and he checked me out after telling him my symptoms, he's really very assuring that everything is ok with the healing , he did scope my throat and said everything's alright, no tumor/cancer , that's relief . But seen some acid burns on my throat, that could cause some iritation on the throat, I'll see if Prilosec would help me , I'll have it for a month as prescribed by him. For the meantime I'll take those things to soothe my throat. I'm still positive my case needs time for healing. I'm so grateful for your response . Thank you.

No problem I'm glad to help. Hopefully the Prilosec helps. Im sure you probably need some more time to heal also. Hope you feel better. Take some probiotics to keep your immune system healthy too ! And drink plenty of water to stay hydrated. Slippery elm lozenges are supposed to coat the throat also. Some ideas.