Day of Surgery:

I am a 26 years old and just got a tonsillectomy, adnoidectomy, and turbinate reduction. I felt awesome after the surgery, I was able to slightly talk for a few minutes then not at all. I was able to breathe out of my nose (thanks turbinate reduction). I've been eating ice chips all day, I'm on my 5th bowl of ice. I had about a cup of jello, half cup of applesauce and a whole bowl of super whipped buttery mashed potatoes. I've been keeping up with my meds and felt fine, other than the sore throat. Although now when I try to sleep, no position helps to avoid my swollen uvula from blocking my airway. I might feel comfy for a minute, I drift off into sleep for a minute and then my airway is obstructed and I am forced back awake! I am soooo tired, woke up at 5am to get my surgery, its been a hectic day. I didn't even get to enjoy the anestia after the surgery, I was dry heaving right when they rolled me out of the OR and have been awake since. Im desperate to sleep, I have a humidifer plugged in but even then it seems my uvula will hit my airway and gets alittle dry causing the sticking blockage. Im afraid if I do go to sleep I will wake up with it stuck in my throat and have to try and drink water to breathe again! I am not allowed on my back due to the turbinate surgery, so I've tried slanted upwards, on my side, none of it works. The posts I've read on here are freaking me out because they mention this happening on day 5-21 and not the first day, does this mean it will get worse??? All the ice I've eaten throughout the day has kept my throat moist and cool, but once I stop the uvula dries out and sticks. Any advice? I tried an ice pack, different positions, I just want to get to sleep. (sorry for any errors, I'm doped up on hydrocodone) lol

Usually the surgery does get more difficult to recover from after the first week or so. Someone said to keep drinking water to keep your throat hydrated and that helps quite a bit but that's the best advice I've seen. How are you doing? Can you keep us updated on how it goes for you?

Next time, actually help.