I have had tonsil issues for years.  When I get tonsilitus (which is at least a couple times a year) it is very hard to get rid of and I usually need a couple of rounds of antibiotics.  I went to my ENT about a month ago on a Friday for an unrelated issue with recurring stubborn sinus infections.  He checked out ears, nose and throat, ran an allergy test of about 106 things gave me the all clear from a CT scan.  The next day, I noticed a white spot on one of my tonsils.  No pain, no spread, just a lone white spot.  It must have been brand new since my doctor didn't see it on Friday.  I thought it was a tonsil stone so I tried to get it off w/ a qtip.  I was successful but it just came back.  I gargled with salt water, vinegar, etc.  Nothing.   I went back to the doctor.  He said it didn't look like an infection and mentioned that we should just watch it.  My doctor is very open and honest and mentioned tonsil cancer just because he thought it was probably in my head somewhere (of course it was).  He said to wait it out 3 weeks and come back.  I waited 2 and then went back because, though it didn't exactly spread, at night, it would feel a little weird (not sore), and kind of felt like there was something stuck in the back of my throat.  Plus, at night, the pus would spread out a bit and pool in other crypts in my tonsil (just the one side).  He checked me out and said that the tonsil felt a little firmer but not too worrisome.  He mentioned that tonsil cancers feel firm and though he wouldn't rule it out, said that he wasn't too concerned about the cancer thing but mentioned a tonsilectomy.  He said that if the steroid made it go away, I wouldn't need to get my tonsils out since cancer doesn't respond to the steroid.  If it didn't, he would have to do a biopsy.   Within the first day of my 6 day steroid, it started to go down.  The steroid he put me on is 6 pills the first day, 5 the next, then 4, 3, etc.  It was completely gone by day 3 but then, on day 5, I started to notice a little white coming back and now on day 6 it is definitely coming back in the same spot, though it isn't as much as before--yet. 

What could this be?  Has anyone had anything like this--white, no pain, goes away and definitely not a tonsil stone?  Could this really be tonsil cancer?  Can I get a tonsilectomy with a throat infection or would that need to be cleared up first?  Also, I am 34 years old and have heard that a tonsilectomy is horrendous.  Anyone experience a somewhat positive tonsilectomy recovery?   Thank you! 

Hey what did you end up having?.I.have something similar please email me. My problem is I.get recurrent white spots on my tonsils most of the time they do not.hurt and if I wasn't obsessive compulsive about looking at my throat I wouldny even notice it.

I've had the same problem. My doctor has treated me for strep & sinus infections with it. However, since there's no fever, pain, etc. I decided to pay attention to everything I do, eat...to see if there is a pattern. I noticed that every time I thoroughly dust/clean my house, I get the pus pockets on my tonsil within 30 minutes. If I clean wearing a dust mask. I don't have the problem.

nbs wrote:

Hi friend,

My wife also having the same symptoms like you (Pus without Pain oneside of throat) ,we have not visited doctor yet ..what happened in your case .I hope you are good now.Please reply .

I had something very similar to this but the white puss was on both of my tonsils and they basically covered them. I was on 7 different medications including an at-home IV for five days. Nothing worked. They had no clue what it was. I ended up just getting my tonsils removed, today, actually. 

I have been monitoring a couple white spots on my tonsils for 3 weeks. They were a bit sore, like a kanker sore, at first but stopped being sore around week three. I used listerine at least twice a day and avoided smokey places. I am happy to say that they appear to be healthy again and no pain or white spots. I actually didn't know there were cavities in tonsils and am releived to find out there are because I thought these were created by the kanker sore!

They could be tonsil stones, actually. I get them quite often.

I have just been referred to the hospital I only went ent doc with snoring probs .he told me I have a lump in my neck ( thyroid I think) and an unrelated lone white spot on my right tonsil I have had this for over a year just thought it was mouth ulcer I am terrified and have cried since please reply if anyone has any info X I haven't smoked in 8 yrs and drink occasionally . I have no pain or sore throat .thankyou.

How did it turn out?

Please what happened with you. I am having the same symptoms and I am freaking out. Pls reply. thank you.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

I had the same problem of recurring pus in both tonsils without pain, even after being treated with antibiotics. I started gargling once a day with pure hydrogen peroxide (oxygenated water) . It makes your mouth a bit frothy, but it's harmless. After a week the pus has almost cleared completely. Try it out!

Yeah I also get this weird white spot but it doesn't affect me, I can feel it now and then but it comes and goes.

I get this, it's reoccurring. I went to see my GP and was told it's due to the shape of my tonsils (bumpy, opposed to smooth) and therefore food easily gets caught and can cause bacterial infection. Only way to prevent it is to check back of throat regularly and physically dislodge the food debris carefully. I have a sensitive gag reflex so I cannot do this easily. Instead I either get my tonsils out or keep going back for antibiotics when it becomes infected. I did find that swallowing hard and drinking plenty of fluids helped dislodge it sometimes.

Same here. As a kid I used to get bad tonsil infections.Doctor wanted to remove but I was a stubborn kid & gargled with salt water a lot. The right tonsil has little crevasses and I notice this problem more when I eat things like potato chips & crackers. Bits of food get stuck & I use an ice pop stick to poke it & get the white stuff out.I know when it's full as it feels like I have popcorn stuck on that side. I usually gargle with warm salt water daily to clean it out. Eventually, I know there is a tonsillectomy in my future.