Hey Everyone,
For the past couple weeks I've been experiencing painful swallowing. It almost feels like the back of my tongue is swollen. My uvula and the area of my soft palate just above it is quite red and looks like maybe there is a few tiny little bumps. Three weeks ago I went to the doctor after being terribly ill for a week and a half. He said I either had "walking pneumonia" or "whooping cough" but had no diagnosis for me. He could've done blood work to find out what exactly was ailing me but said it would take up to two weeks to find out and in either case he would have just gave me antibiotics to make me non-contageous. So, he just wrote me a presciption right then.
I don't know if this is just a lingering part of whatever was wrong with me or what.
Just for everyone's info, it couldn't be herpes related, I have no tonsils or adenoids and, if it matters, I suffer from ulcerative colitis.
If anyone has any clues, please let me know. It's greatly appreciated

I have exactly the same symptoms and also it seems due to a weakened immune system, since I'm going through a really intense examination period (degree finals). It started with a slight sore throat and got worse after I went to the cinema (due to air conditioning). A day or two later I had the exact same conditions as described by mrsamd22. Now the pain and bumps ave subsided but they've also spread onto my tongue. The gp is baffled.

I also have had the same symptoms. I have a weakened immune system from taking ENBREL for my RA. I have asked the doctor if the sore throat, extra-sensitive tongue, mouth sores, swollen soft palate are all related. He said "probably not." However, I have had a terrible sore throat or mouth for 3 weeks . I even went for a strep test. The doctor said it was viral, but I keep waiting to feel better. I thought I was on the road to recovery and then it was back! Any one have any ideas???

:cry

I am on Day Eight of not being able to swallow fluids. I can barely maintain proper hydration by eating oatmeal, mashed potatoes, pudding and applesauce. I was on an antibiotic for a sinus infection, but that led to a bad case of thrush. Throughout all of this, I've been faithfully using my Listerine Pre-Brush Whitening Rinse twice a day. One night it dawned on me that my tongue felt like wood. I called my dentist and he said many patients have had bad reactions to dental rinses. They can cause sores all over the mouth. I think the rinse combined with the thrush has pretty much shut down my mouth and upper throat. I'm slowly getting better but wanted to spread the word that some problems may be caused or made worse by today's high intensity dental products.

Good luck to all of you.

Sounds a lot like what i have been going through for about 3 days now. I recently got over a really bad cold but i thought it was just from snoring. Everyone in the house said i snore pretty bad while i was sick so i'm thinking that i just tore my throat up and it was gonna take some time to heal, well thats my take on the situation, i don't have a cure just thinking that it might be nothing, peace. 8)

well this is the answer probly everyone has been waiting for i looked everywhere when it happened to be but nobody had an answer so heres mine. i actually have this right now painful bumps in mouth and swollen uvula hurts drinking liquids and all that good stuff but it will go away with time and actually with no treatment the bumps are actually swollen tastebuds called lie bumps they hurt like hell but its not a big deal they can take up to a week or more to go away but they will go away on thier own and so will the uvula swollen uvula is caused by dehydration,dry air,weakened immune system from cold or illness,breathing through mouth like when you wake up with a really dry mouth that can cause it. also drinking or smoking heavily before bed or anytime of day,gargling hard. stuff like that its really bad at first its just bad pain best bet is to drink alot of water keep your mouth moist sucking on coughdrops also helps coat the mouth and throat basically you just gotta ride the storm wait it out dont panic it will go away if it doesnt show signs of reducing within a week and a half or 2 weeks you might need some medication to help it do its thing.

I too have been smited by god by this ridiculous ailment. Incredibly painful swallowing, swollen everything thats in the back, I have no tonsils or adenoids or whatever, had a tonsilectomy in 2003 or 2004. I am going to be incredibly peeved if all this is dehydration.. after going to the ER lastnight cause I can't afford a real doctor.. :/ I have antibiotics being filled, luckily they are free, the pain meds the prescribe to everyone may not be. I have never been this irritable or irritated with life then I am rightnow. UGH why me??? and you all too.. >;)

You may find this useful. I did.

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

it's mononucleosis i guarantee you, i just got over it but my uvula still burns when i drink liquids. No medicines to help cure it. It goes away on its own. have your liver levels checked as mine are still really ***edited by moderator*** ** inappropriate posting** after a month

It seems to me that the link here is the weakened immune system. I has a mrsa infectiom and spent 12 days in the hospital.. I had two three hour IV drips twice a day.. Needless to say the antibiotics killed all the probiotics in my system, leaving me more likely to get sick..

I woke up a few days ago with a sore throat.. It's now a VERY swollen & red Uvula and a irritated soft palate of my mouth..

has anyone had a positive conclusion?

I have had this very same condition since the spring of 1983. I am now 46 yrs old. I had it diagnosed by at least 5 different physicians and they ALL had the same diagnosis:

HERPES.

I used to have so many problems w/attacks. The last 1 was in 1994 and I am now slowly recovering from the first and only attack I've had since '94.

Many people don't understand how Herpes works. If you have type I or II, either can affect your mouth...whether it's on your lips, tongue, inside your cheeks, uvula, tonsils, palate, etc.

Folks need to recognize it isn't just a virus that can affect only your lips!

It generally starts out as a dull sore throat; as it progresses you may start to notice a slight feeling of coming down w/a cold, such as a runny nose, etc. If you really take a mirror and look closely, you'll see the little clear blisters in the back of the throat and on the uvula. The uvula may swell and elongate, too. Feelings of dry throat/mouth and even a cough are usually part of this.

After a few more days the blisters are very visible and the inside of the mouth, probably the entire back throat and soft palate will be very reddened. It hurts!

In a bad flare-up, you may need to see a doctor. You may not be able to eat/drink or sleep because of the pain and over-all feeling of sickness. Do NOT touch any part of your mouth unless you wash your hands thoroughly afterwards because this virus can spread to other parts of the body, including the fingers and genitals and eyes.

If, after several dys, maybe even 10 dys of all this suffering, you notice the reddness lightening up to a more pinkish color, you're probably on the mend, until the next time.

Don't just assume it is or isn't herpes. Go to a doc. There are meds available now which can help you. There was nothing available yet when I first had my diagnosis in 1983.

Thanks.
JanieB

i have recently gone to the doctors about this condition and he said it was a bacterial throat infection and the best thing is to take antibiotics to kill the infection..

i have just had a friend over, and he had a bad cough, then when he left, the left half of the arch next to the uvula is swollen and it hurts to swallow, any ideas, no weakened immune system to my knowledge

I am crying right now because the pain is UNBEARABLE!! My soft palate is red and swollen and my uvula is inflamed too with bumps on it. It hurts like CRAZY to even swallow! I hadn't eaten anything for hours and wasn't planning to either because swallowing is a nightmare. But Igot really hungry and had some rice and veggies, which were slightly easier to swallow. Swallowing liquids is the real nightmare.

I do not want to go to a doctor and get prescribed antibiotics because I've been on a lot of antibiotics this year and probably had a weakened immune system. I see most of us have this in common. I've noticed that my health is directly correlated to my diet and the results are almost immediate. In 2009 I was on the raw food diet 60% of the time and my health was never better. I rarely had colds and I had almost no bronchial problems, which used to bother me as a kid. But the raw food diet  made me extremely 'sensitive' and emotional. My emotions were greatly heightened, which is a great thing of course, but  I didn't know how to deal with it and I decided to stop. Junk food dumbs down your senses and makes you apathic to the things around you. For the past 3 weeks  I've been on a bad junk food diet, taking soft drinks 2ice a day, loads of chocolate and fries and now - this week, I have  this terrible swollen uvula problem. I can't take it anymore! I sure hope I feel better when I wake up tomorrow!

Sorry for rambling. Writing about it has definitely helped me blow off some of the steam :) Hope we all get better, guys! :`(

I have been experiencing the exact. Same thing, my uvula is extremely red and is very irritaed as it fells like it has been burning . to eat food and drink water it is very sore. it keeps me up every night till around 3, but I. Have started to get a feeling in the back of my throat like there's somethhing in the back of my throat and I can't get it out. my mother has had this before she said that the burning sensation is normal. she believes that I just have tonsilitas butt here is no sign. i haven't been to the doctor, but I study this at school and I believe. That it is just a virus or a infection and with plenty of water aand just paracetomol and patience it will go away, but it will take time, around 2-3 weeks, hopefully. if it hurts to swallow like mine does, you have to drink water a lot of it aswell andor hot drinks e.g. tea, coffee, hot chocolate or warm blackcurrrant juice. Even ice cream will help sooth the pain. I hope this helps.