Lately after running I get this pain in the outside of my left knee. It doesn't appear to be typical ITBS since it doesn't bother me while running. It's most bothersome when I flex my knee while stretching my quad. Weird part is that if I lay down on my right side and do side leg lifts for a minute or so, the pain disappears and I can flex my knee about 99% pain-free. Anyone know what might be causing this? Is it as simple as a weak hip abductor? Straight-legged lifts seem to help too. I just don't understand why it keeps bothering me.
thanks

Quad stretches are notorious for irritating knees. How are you doing them?
Here's the best way..
If you are doing them lying down or by pulling your ankle with your hand, you likely are pulling your leg to the outside to some degree and there's the inappropriate pull. You want to keep your foot straight in line with your butt and leg.
Also, now that you're injured to some extent, stetching isn't going to solve the problem. The odds increase that the stretch will aggrivate things. What you need to do is work on the strength exercises, alternate heat/ice and maybe back off the mileage some with some cross-training. Then when you're good to go, ease in to a stretching routine as a preventative measure instead of a cure all. Good luck!