i went to a running speciality store and purchased shoes they recommended. one of the pairs was fine for about three weeks and then the outside of my knees started to hurt. i thought maybe it was cuz i wasn't stretching enough, so i started stretching and took about 3.5 weeks off.

started back running in my other pair of shoes, and i was pain free. well, except for feeling tired cuz of taking time off.

any ideas as to why my knees would hurt with shoes i was recommended to wear? maybe a breaking in period?

i was thinking that i shouldn't run in them anymore, cuz they hurt my knees. good idea?

the outside of both knees? does it hurt after running a little bit and go away afterwards?

yup, outside of both knees. it doesn't really hurt, more of an ache. not when i'm walking around, but if i sit down for a period of time, my knees start to ache. :(

Running shoes depending on the design (cushioned, stability, motion control) all make orthopedic like corrections to how your foot strikes the ground and of course those forces are transfrerred up through your ankles, knees, and hips. It sounds as if those shoes are putting stress on your ITBs. Can you provide the brand and model of the two pairs of shoes? It does seem odd that one pair works for you and the other doesn't. Even running specialty store clerks can make a mistake. I even got an incorrect recommendation from a shoe manufacturer rep at a fitness fair once.

the shoes are asics gel-1090. my other pair of running shoes that don't cause any problems, are mizunos.