When I run outside ( down roads around our track or sometimes even in place it seems) my legs seem to get really really tight and seems like they get completely locked up on me making it near impossible to run. I am 260 pounds but in decent shape cardio wise from wrestling... my legs lock up running even only 1/2 a mile when im not even tired or breathing heavy at all............

So the only thing that is limiting my running is my legs locking up. However when I am at practice running on the mats without my shoes on it takes much longer for my legs to lock up.. I last about 2 if not 3 times longer... Could it be my shoes ( regular adidas shoes that are pretty old ) that are making my legs wear out?

Thanks guys!

I have never heard of this happening before so the following advice is just a guess but here it goes.

Your shoes could be the problem. If you are running in shoes that literally are falling apart then it makes sense that your leg muscles could be working overtime to keep your running in a straight line and so you might get some stiffness...but i would have thought you would get cramps before leg lock!

Does stretching your legs help after you run? You could always try getting a new pair of cushioned shoes and then build up slowly following a 5minute run followed by a 5 minute walk and stretching pattern. As you feel more comfortable, increase the running time and decrease the walking time until you can run comfortably for extended periods of time.

Otherwise, i would see a physio if the problem persists or possibly see your wrestling coach?

Blog - Running Jackets

Intimately, the post is really the best topic on this related issue. I concur with your conclusions and will thirstily look forward to your approaching updates. Saying thanks will not just be enough, for the exceptional clarity in your writing. I will directly grab your rss feed to stay privy of any updates.I don't unremarkably comment but I gotta admit thankyou for the post on this great one.