I had successful ACL surgery last july 11th, i went through about two months or more of strong therapy, still going to the gym sometimes to do it myself. But lately i've been playing basketball, and I know it's unadvised, but i've been careful and haven't been running. It wus all fine but I noticed my knee has been making a cracking sound the past week. I never injured my knee at all it doesn't even hurt. I don't know what happened. I read somewhere it may be a swelling symptom but I don't know. Just wondering what it is. It only makes the cracking sound if my knee is bent and im trying to straighten it. . It makes the sound right at the end of straightening the knee. Thanks for reading. now I also have a medium size lump just below my knee now, near my surgery scar, I don't know why, it doesn't hurt unless I really push kind of hard on it. The lump is the size of a half dollar.

Did you find out whats wrong, I have similar thing that I noticed happening to me. I had been doing the 300 workout couple times a week and it gets to this point after the workout.

Hey Guys,

About four year ago, I had ACL reconstruction surgery too. Last year june 07, I started to get very sharp pains along the ACL scar, mainly when I made any attempts to play any sport. Also as you say the more I pressed nearer to the scar tissue, the sharper the pain gets.

After much deliberation, I finally managed see the same specialist who operated on my and he has diagnosed that the dissolvable screw that was used to secure the gaft into the tunnel (through the shin bone) has for some reason grown outwards and shaped into what can be described as a small lump which looks like a popcorn. It is this extra growth of the dissolvable screw that is causing me all that discomfort. I was given two options, one is to live with the pain and the second is to get another surgery and get that rubbed off and hopefully (fingers crossed) should resolve the problem.

My suggestion in case you feel the pain getting worse would be talk to specialist as the growth of the screw might just be in its early stage and get his opinion on that. I hope this helps  All the best

Ahsan

I was fortunate not to have anything go wrong after/during my sugery but I distinctly remember my physiotherapist telling of something she had after her acl surgery that sounds exactly like what you are describing, a large lump, slightly painful to the touch right around the incision.

If I am correct then what you have is a buildup of scar tissue under the skin.

I was told to massage the area around my incision as much as possible to prevent this but I am no specialist and don't know how to fix it once it is there. Your best bet is to check in with a doctor. (On a side note my physiotherapist said she left hers alone and had someone accidentally kick it good and hard playing soccer later. Apparently the pain was tremendous but afterwards it cleared up!)

Hi. I have a similar sounding issue with my knee cracking as it is straightened. It is now 1 year after surgery, and this cracking sound has progressively gotten more pronounced. It feels as though there is a tendon sliding over the back of my knee, and snapping as it is pulled tight. Normally its not very painful, unless I really hold my hamstring "strong".

Did anyone reading this thread find a solution? I've reported the problem consistently to my surgeon, and he's not able to figure out the cause. Since it isn't very painful, he doesn't seem too concerned.

thanks for any tips,
jeremy

ap2487 wrote:

I had successful acl surgery last july 11th,
i went through about two months or more of strong therapy, still going to the gym sometimes to do it myself.
But lately i've been playing basketball, and I know it's unadvised, but i've been careful and haven't been running.
It wus all fine but I noticed my knee has been making a cracking sound the past week. I never injured my knee at all it doesn't even hurt. I don't know what happened. I read somewhere it may be a swelling symptom but I don't know. Just wondering what it is. It only makes the cracking sound if my knee is bent and im trying to straighten it. . It makes the sound right at the end of straightening the knee. Thanks for reading.

now I also have a medium size lump just below my knee now, near my surgery scar, I don't know why, it doesn't hurt unless I really push kind of hard on it. The lump is the size of a half dollar.

I get that popping too and I just hit the 7 month mark to my knowledge it is from scar tissue build up. When you flex or straighten your knee the built up scar tissue is breaking up which creates the release, or pop. Mine makes a bit of a crackle and then it pops but it should feel kind of good rather than painful. But to my knowledge it is a good thing when that pop occurs.

i had two total knees replacement done in april 22 and i still pain and poping and cracking sounds inmy knees is that normal and how long will it last i have alittle burning with to please help.txs

Do you know if they used the Calaxo screw for the hardware? This is a screw which is supposed to dissolve in like a year. I had my ACL done 3 years ago and after surgery during rehab the area where the screw is swelled up like the size of a golf ball. Doctor said not to worry about it for now.

Then at my 6 month post surgical release he said that the screw needed to be taken out. He said it rarely happens, but in my case it should be done. I never did it, but a few months ago a started getting infections in that area.

Since now I need to have my other ACL done, he is going to remove the screw in the other knee at the same time.

I just noticed that the Calaxo screw has been recalled and every symptom I have is directly related to that screw. I am trying to get more info, but you should look into that as well.

That sounds like a pretty good lead. Have you talked to your doctor about it and find out if that was the case?

Minor pain, discomfort or cracking is most likely scar tissue adhesion between the bone and the incision site. For me, this required more than 3 years to resolve on its own- basically I had to stretch and massage the site to eventually cause the adhesion to 'break.' It did not hurt. One day, it popped and snapped and I had no more related issues. But NO PAIN followed and the symptoms stopped.

If the site is extremely painful, swollen (not a small solid bump, but a large fluid filled bulge), discolored, experiencing changes in sensation (does it feel numb, etc?) and/or you are running a fever (infection)- seek medical attention immediately. It might be the screw. It might be that your body healed and in the process pushed the screw outward. It might be that the screw was not embedded properly the first time. No one can tell you what is wrong except a qualified physician. Furthermore, I suggest that you locate the best orthopedic surgeon that specializes in your type of ACL repair (allograft, patellar graft, hanstring graft- and yes they all have one of these areas of expertise) because you want the best possible care if remediation is required. A second surgery is typically your last chance for a final solution. You can not afford mistakes again.

I tore both of my ACLs and had surgery on my latest one on May 8th, 2009. I went back to playing soccer in March of this year, but worked out a lot to build up my leg muscles before returning to play my senior year. After every game, I am in awful pain to the point where I have to limp when I walk around. I also have this huge bump on the outside of my knee that is extremely painful and may possibly be affecting the muscle right above my knee, which is also beginning to hurt. This did not happen with my first surgery when I went back so I am a little confused. I have debated going back to the doctor with fear it might be something where I might not be able to play the rest of the season. Can anyone help me?

MCL sprain, hopefully not a meniscal tear or whatever,
but it has been 10 days since my injury, and it allready feels like too long.

I have been able to walk with a slight limp and some pain. I need to work, I have no option.

I have been doing as much stretching as possible, i can bear weight, but not fully extended,

While doing wall squats, I felt or heard a cracking / snapping noise while I was lifting up. and a slight pain afterword. I have been icing it for 1hr now, and it feels very mobile, a little painful, but I can extend it farther than before. It also popped a few times at work, but it almost felt good. and like it helped.

this pop, doesnt feel like it helped, any insight?

I had ACL surgery on my right knee 2 years ago. I did all the exercises told by the physio. Everything went fine till last week. Last week when i was playing badminton, i fell down on my right knee. it was very painful. I could not able to bear it. I was using knee cap for couple of days. I think i hurted the ligament again. I do not have any problem in walking or running now. But when i straighten the leg, i hear the cracking noise. Worst thing is when i try to move my leg in a particular angle i get pain. I have the following queries';
1. Is it possible to go for ACL reconstruction again on the same knee where i had a re construction??
2. What are the impacts if i do not go for reconstruction
3. Should i have to wait for some more time (try to play again and check whether it hurts ??) but i am scared to do so thinking i may fall again.
Please do give a suggestion / any one had undergo reconstruction of Acl on the reconstructed Acl ??

Thanks in Advance.

Regards,
Bala

Bala: It is possible to re-tear an ACL and have it re-reconstructed, but, according to reports, there are diminishing returns on each successive surgery (god-forbid having more than two). I don't know if you tore it again. The fact that you have pain at angles worries me. If the swelling is down, get it examined. But it could just be the rending of massive scar tissue. Definitely don't play badminton for a while. And do what exercises you can to strengthen the quad and hamstrings (body-weight squats, prisoner squats, crab walks, spider-man crawls). The stronger those muscles, the better protected your knee.

Guest: no idea. Usually, when pops occur in basic up-down motions like when you wall squat it is scar tissue (if you have had surgery in the past). If you have never had a knee operation and your knee pops and you get swelling and pain: see a doctor. The swelling means something happened. It may be a partial tear that will repair itself or a full tear. If it's ACL related, the good news is you can still work--the ACL is for lateral movement, changing direction on the basketball court, swerving to defend an attacking midfielder, juking out a linebacker. If all you're doing is walking forward, you're fine. I think it's worth the peace of mind to see a doctor, get an MRI.

Kristen: I don't know if you meant senior year of high school or senior year of college. The proper course of action depends on what your future plans are. If you're a high school senior and think you may want to play soccer in college, go see the doctor. You don't want to risk future prospects. If you're a college senior, it's up to you. Usually you can see the doc and not listen to his recommendation--at least you know what you're risking. He can't force you to stop playing, to have surgery. My recommendation: see the doctor. The debilitating post-game pain you have probably shouldn't be happening and is probably a byproduct of the lump you described.

Everyone else wondering about cracking: scar tissue. It's typical. Most doctors warn that after the surgery (6 months after, one year after, or even longer) you may feel a giant pop that hurts. This is the major collection of scar tissue breaking up. Range of motion should improve, as should overall feeling in the knee. Some people report the knee feeling a little more "loose" but that's because it's been stiff for so long. Sometimes, instead of a one giant pop, the tissue breaks in a series of lesser pops.

After my left ACL, I had one giant scar tissue pop. My right knee has been the series of lesser eruptions. I get slight pain for maybe an hour. Then the knee feels great. The only problem is that the pops come randomly and are, initially, quite scary. After two ACL reconstructions, a meniscus reconstruction, and a torn hamstring, I'm worried every time I feel anything.

How have I been so lucky to injure myself so much? Weak glutes/hamstrings and tight hips.

I made the mistake after my first ACL surgery (left knee) to think the surgery fixed everything. I didn't rehab how I should have. I didn't strengthen how I should have. And I played collegiate baseball. After my first season back (which was frustrating because I was, due to my lack of proper preparation, a shadow of my former self), I tore my right hamstring, which had been doing the brunt of the work for both legs. Then, after not rehabbing that properly, I tried playing a casual game of flag football, and I tore my right meniscus (because my right knee had increase stress on it due to the weak hamstring) . I had the meniscus fixed. Three months later, the right ACL tear was a freak accident: I jumped during a volleyball game and came down on someone's foot.

Don't make my mistakes. If you've had your ACL repaired, strengthen your glutes, your hamstrings, quads, hip adductors and abductors. The stronger these things are, the less stress on your knees. Surgery fixes what you tore, but it doesn't make you indestructible, quite the opposite, it leaves you in a weakened state. Don't just stretch, do short yoga assignments and dynamic exercises (like spider-man crawls) to strengthen smaller and connective muscles, to gain back full range of motion, and to get rid of pesky scar tissue.

I just had my knee surgery done three months ago and four days today. I sprained my right knee that I had the surgery on this weekend, and this morning my husband heard a pop? Can you tell me if thats good? I called for my follow up with the Doctor that did the surgery and his nurse just told me to keep wearing my immobilizer that I got from the Emergency Room and use my Crutches until I see him on Frieday. Whats that sound like to you?