i think i may have to go to the dr. :|

its been sore on and off (mostly on) since mid december. id take a break of several days at a time and feel good enough to run again. well after two or three runs, id have to take another several day break. im not in agony or anything, but its definately not comfortable to walk on for extended periods of time. it kinda feels like something is or has been twisted on kind of the right of my left knee cap (if youre looking at your own knees)

im not sure if i hurt myself or not, ive NEVER had issues with my knees since i began running and never before either. the only thing i can think of is that at the begining of dec, i was going up some steps with my 15lb+ backback on and my knee sort of gave out on me. well, thats how it felt anyway. i was in enough pain at the time that i limped around for the rest of the day...but after that i was fine, nothing seemed out of sorts untill now.

anyhoo, do i go to my regular dr or do i try to find an orthopedist? i dont think i need a referal for the insurance, but im not sure...

any ideas or comments?

so ive decided to ice my knee tonight and take some ibuprofin and see how i feel tomarrow. i really dont want to go to a dr. :|

stretches, yoga style with long hold on the stretch. you'll need to do this regulary (do as i say and NOT what i do) yes ice, ater every run even when it does not hurt. and weight training. you might want to cross train too.

Other ideas, a good sports massage. a lot of time tight muscles are pulling the knee out of alignment. it's funny you posted this cuz as i was opening this forum i thought my knee is tender. i should ice. :umno:

possibly you may need to run with a patellar stableizer brace.

sorry Froggy

Sounds like ITB? It seems that once you get a tendon fired up (feeling pain) it takes a long time before you are pain free. Does it hurt when you run? Does the pain subside while you are running? Or does it hurt after you run?

something in the air???? my bursitis is back in my knee and I'm hobbling this morning. It was perfectly fine on yesterday's run....but by last night I knew something was going on. Stairs are a nightmare.

froggy.....from my experience....and I've been to a doc 3x for knees. Wait it out for 2 weeks. Use the RICE method and it doesn't improve then see an orthopaedic doc......else all you will hear is "no running, ice and take this for pain". If after 2 weeks things aren't improving then you definitely need to see someone. If you are like me......a noticeable improvement after 48 hours of ibruprofen and icing.

When things get better....don't forget hyperashel's advice.....you need to strenthen the muscles holding the kneecap in place. We tend to forget when things are painfree....but I am a good example that the problem will surface again. I'm guessing you need quad strengthening (many women with knee problems lack this development).

hang in there....I definitely know this is frustrating.

sorry you're having knee issues froggy.

i'd have xrays and maybe an MRI to rule out any broken or torn parts.

then, i'd get on a program of stretching and strengthening. lots of muscles will pull your knee off track - always happens to me - not specifically ITB, but the TFL, quad, piriformis, all the muscle groups above the knee tighten up when running -- they need special care in some people.

i've gotten lots of good advice from Julie. her book has helped me with maintenance altho i still get twisted up from time to time

good luck.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

thanks guys...

i iced last night after i posted, but my knee was super stiff this am, feels better now though. the only thing ive done this week was my psudeo-kickboxing class on mon, i go again wed, ill try stretching more than usual before class...

any good stretching websites? im into yoga, but not nearly as efficient at it by myself, so i guess i have something to work on....

hopefully i wont be needing a dr. (cross you fingers)

Check out the DVD Yoga for Athletes, it is an excellent DVD with a bunch of different sport yoga programs on it(running of course is one) there are about 16 different sports featured, i don't remember them all off hand. Then when you go into a specific sport it has different muscle group streching programs, it's an excellent DVD.

Any progress with your knee? I'm trying to get a an appt to see a dr about my left knee.

yeah, it feels fine now. but ive laid off running since ive posted about this, and wont be running for a few more weeks... :x