I just started running again after having not run for a couple of years. I want to train for a marathon. However, when I run my knee makes a little pop every step I take. It also happens when going up stairs but not when I walk. There is no pain at all. Is it advisable to start increasing my mileage as long as there is no pain? Thanks for any help.

*BUMP*

I have no answers for you. But, I have a similar problem with my shoulder when I do push ups ---it drives me INSANE!!!!!!

Any answers anyone???

if you aren't experiencing any pain or swelling it could just be a weakness issue. I would recommend you do a search looking for your symptoms and if you have any doubts see a sports med doctor.

No pain at all? Any tension or pulling? Is it an audible pop or just a twinge you feel? Did you get this same thing when you ran before?

That is correct, I have no pain at all. I did do a search but could only find issues where people had pain associated with a pop. However, I took 3 days off and then ran yesterday and don't seem to have the pop any more. I would still like to know what it is. One physical therapist friend told me it might be an issue with the padding in some part of my knee being worn down. Another friend that is a personal trainer, thought it could be arthritis setting in. I guess I will keep running and hope for the best. Thanks for your help.

Neither told you to work on strengthen and stabilize the knee?

Is it a pop, or more like a Rice Krispies sound?