my daughter is 6 months after ACL reconstruction and was told she can return to sports. Today while in track after school, she made a sudden stop and felt a "pop" in her knee. The trainer said it is probably scar tissue and not to be too worried about this. Does this sound familiar to anyone? It's just a little bit swollen, on the side of her knee.....

I had an ACL reconstruction last september and was advised not to return to competitive or intensive sport until a year after surgery. I would personally not have returned to track exercise until at least 7 months (depending on how your daughter's knee feels) tho it is different in every case depending on how much of her physio she did/her muscle tone/fitness now and prior to the surgery etc. However, in the most serious of cases, there could be a post surgical complication or it could be crepitus.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crepitus

You should get your daughter to see her consultant just to get a second opinion and possibly get her to wait longer and only continue with controlled activity (eg. running on a running machine/gym exercise) and not to take part in competitive activity for a while longer. Also to rest well over the next couple of weeks, and too ice & elevate the knee regularly.

Hi.
I am currently on month 7 of my ACL Reconstruction (allograft).
I was in fairly good shape and accelerated through 'sport specific' rehab fairly well.

My knee pops often. No pain, not much feeling - more of a 'sound I feel' than anything else. My PT and Surgeon say it's merely fluid and totally normal. They're both excellent (Surgeon was a former Chicago Blackhawks, Bears, Cubs surgeon) and I trust their opinion greatly.

However I do not experience ANY swelling. If the swelling is unusual I would personally stop until told I can run again. I would not worry until a professional tells you otherwise, but if there's concern you ought to check it out of course, as with anything with your body.

Health is wealth.

P.S. - Have you researched any of the alleged ACL Prevention exercises such as the PEP Routine? ...Females don't have 6 times the ACL tears for no good reason!

This is sounds exactly like what i experienced today.. I am 6 months and ten days out and today while playing soccer i cut and my knee cracked/popped.. it is swelling on side and hurts a fair amount.. did you ever find out what yours was?

I am almost 3 weeks post op from acl reconstruction. Things have been going along just fine until today. I stepped awkwardly to and felt a pop. The pop is similar to the pops that I have had during rehab only slightly more. I have not experienced any new pain or swelling... Any ideas????? I hope that I didn't tear it again... Am I making something out of nothing??

Okay I'm at six months and I only get this popping when I'm straightening. If it is a large pop I would suggest checking if you tore it again. Seriously everytime mine makes even the slightest click I check(I also almost start crying). My problem is the last couple centimetres when straightening, and also when I go to track practice no pooping but, after practice Pain and cant straighten hope this helps

i am 6 weeks PO for acl/lcl surgery and I was bending my knee tonight and I had a little popping sounds as well. No pain or swelling, but I am going to ask my PT tomorrow. Probably nothing more then scar tissue

I am 6 months and 16 days post op and I have been experiencing Pain and swelling on the inside of my knee. its been getting progressively worse now for a week. After I was doing my strengthening exercises I iced and then went to bed. The next morining I woke up and I could barely bend, or straighten it. it hurt really bad and the swelling was as if I had just woke up from surgery again. The swelling wasn't squishy it was hard.:O And I don't know why it did this. now about a week later I did my exercises again and that same night I woke up crying because my swelling was hard again and I couldn't even touch it. I went to go get some ice and it couldn't even bare weight on it because it hurt so bad. I again couldn't straighten, or bend it. Why is it doing this? Is it because of scar tissue? I'm only 16, and this is pissing me off. Should I ask my doctor if he could remove the scar tissue?

i am about 9 months out of acl and meniscus reconstruction surgery and 2 days ago i felt a big pop in my knee while playing lacrosse. i started limping and was in a good amount of pain. the pain was on the op. of the meniscus i tore and it was near my hamsting graft scar. went to my doc. and he told me i just tore the scar tisssue. i am only 13 and am so releaved that it was all good :-D

I am almost 7 months out o an acl surgery and I was playing lacrosse when I jumped for a ball coming down straight, with no lateral movement. My knee then popped and felt okay that night. The next day it was sore and a little stiff with minimal swelling and a little bruising... It has gotten better now 4 days have passed. I haven't seen a doctor yet but I talked to him describing this and he said it was most likely torn scar tissue. With sufficient icing and about two weeks of taking it slow should make it better.

I had ACL surgery almost 2 years ago and this summer I was playing soccer and my knee gave out with a very loud crack/pop. I immediately thought I had retorn it because there was a large amount of pain and swelling. I couldn't walk normal for at least a week and couldn't run for much longer. I went to the doctor and they said I most likely just tore scar tissue from my surgery. Since then I have play soccer 3 times and it has done the same thing two of those times. Everyone just tells me it is the scar tissue but I am in a large amount of pain and I wasn't sure if you can tear your scar tissue repeatedly. Any thoughts?

i am 3 months PO of ACL reco. today i was participating in a group skipping activity, where you need to run around the people turning the rope. after a while i got puffed because i haven't done much activity after the operation. it was a bad idea as i ran around i felt me knee pop to the side, the same as it did 3 times before my surgery... is this a sign that i have torn it again!? :( HELP! 

Hi i read this...and it's quite similar to what happened to me....what has happened after you wrote this...did you need another surgery?

Hi i wanted to ask you what happened after this situation. I t occurred a year ago, i can see that, has it happened to you again? What's your condition right now? Were you able to play soccer again?

I have the same problem of having clicking sound for the when straightening leg for the last 1-2 degree. This happens after i tried to jump as high as possible with running. 5.2+ months post op for acl recon hamstring autograft. Physio says its ok but its been there for 3+weeks.