Can somebody tell me how serious being diagnosed with vesicoureteral reflux could be and what causes this condition? My 3 your old son always had trouble urinating but of course I haven't noticed this fact while he was young and about the age of 2 I started to be suspicious of something but I don't know…I haven't react until recently when he started screaming whenever I bring him to urinate for it was burning him but on the other side he feels frequent urgent need to urinate but always having trouble urinating. Anyway he got high fever last week and I've took him to the pediatrician and told him about his urinating problem and the doc deicided to check out whether those symptoms are vesicoureteral reflux related so my son had x-rays of his bladder and kidneys and is now diagnosed with vesicoureteral reflux and is being prescribed antibiotics for he has got infection of the urinary tract now. I would like to hear how dangerous this vesicoureteral reflux is and could it be treated effectively.

My son was also diagnosed with vesicoureteral reflux at the age of 4 but he was lucky enough it was nothing that much serious for he actually had mild vesicoureteral reflux condition and it was congenital condition which I suppose is the same situation with your kid. Anyway being diagnosed with vesicoureteral reflux means that urine has abnormal flow so it doesn't flow from the kidneys to the bladder through the ureters and than out from there it actually has an abnormal flow from the bladder back to the kidneys spreading bacterial infection which may cause serious kidney damage and the result is vesicoureteral reflux diagnose. Anyway I suppose your son has mild vesicoureteral reflux for he was prescribed only antibiotics the same treatment my kid had to treat his kidney infection for in these mild cases ureters grows along with the kid until it finally reaches the proper size and the problem is solved without surgery which is usually recommended in more severe vesicoureteral reflux condition in order to repair the faulty valve.

I had UTI's from birth but no one knew anything was wrong until about the age of 5 at which point i was brought to my doctor every 2-3 weeks for antibiotics to treat the infections, this lasted for 2 years when i finally got in to see a urologist who after extensive testing diagnosed me with VUR at that point I was in Stage 5 of VUR and surgery was iminent, i had surgery at the age of 8. I had one UTI about 6 weeks after surgery and have been infection free for the last 15 years! This is not life threatening especially when diagnosed early, it is also possibly fixed by antibiotics, if surgery is needed, laproscopic procedures are now available for this operation and open surgery is no longer necessary. I would not worry about this!