Hi. My brother who was recently born was diagnosed with vesico-ureteral reflux. I’m interested in what that is as my mom doesn’t want to share it with me. I guess that she doesn’t want to make me worried but I would really like to help her out as much as I can. So, please, could you tell me what that is and is there a way I could help… Thanks a lot for your help!!!

Vesicoureteral reflux (or VUR) is term for the backup of urine from the organ that stores urine into the tube that carries urine from the kidney to the bladder during urination. There are two types of VUR: one is caused by a congenital abnormality which is usually detected after birth while the second one is usually caused by a urinary tract infection. The one your brother has is probably the first one. Unfortunately, there is really nothing you can do about it, or to help your mom. Luckily, doctors now how to successfully treat this and I’m sure he’ll soon be well. Take care.