Good Morning :D

I saw a picture (my first) of me running a 5K this past weekend and my arms look kind of high and really close to me. How are you suppose to keep your arms while running? Is there such a thing or am I am just suppose to be comfortable? I know I tend to keep them high because at times I remind myself to lower them and relax. It seems that my shoulders are even elevated at times. I am afraid that it will tire me in the long run and on long runs.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Rachel

You need to concentrate on relaxing more (is that an oxymoron?). You're arms need to be relaxed at your sides and swing smoothly otherwise you'll get too much tension built up in your neck and get sore/tight there while you run.

I think it would be better if I could drop my arms some but it seems my natural running is to have my arms high

I will work on it. Thanks!

Rachel

I don't know, I read an article about speed that suggested keeping the hands kinda high, relaxed, but high, maybe near your chest, I've been doing that and still keeping a natural movement. It seems to be working. my speed is increasing, and I've got no tension or soreness so I must have the relaxed thing working.

I saw a runner yesterday whose hands were about waist level and kinda flailing about. It looked silly and made me tired watching him.

I been running for a long time and still can't keep my arms relaxed during some races, it usually happens when I'm really focused on my speed. I begin to tense up and up come the arms. I feel it almost part of my running style during races because most of the time it's almost impossible for me to correct it. On everyday runs I will occasional bring my arms up, but usually notice and try to bring them down.

It is under the heading Personal best and is titled The Psychomechanics of Speed I need to go back and read it again, but I know that arm position was one of the points and seemed a little different than what we usually hear. I looked for the article online, but it's not there.

arms up high and tight is usually a sign you are tired. As you race/run, you will bring the arms up it is a weird thing. Concentrate on low and relaxed.

Pebbles ~ That was the way I was in that race. My arms never bothered me and I didn't even pay attention till I saw the pic. When I am running regularly and not concentrating then I will tell myself to drop my arms lower and try to keep my hands at my waist. But I have to concentrate to do that because it is not natural.

Running can be so confusing!

I read this a long time ago and have done it myself often to keep my arms swinging right. Lightly tap your pinkie finger against the waistband on your shorts as you bring your arm back. Then for forward motion should be nearly straight out with some up and inward swing, but keep it to a minimum.
Sprinting is a different animal, there arms play a big role in pumping, but for distance running, I've got to say the lower and more relaxed you can be, the better.

agreed...
also, to note that probably just as important as positioning is movement...any cross body movement is wasted motion...and that is one reason why holding arms high is discouraged because when the arms crop up near the chest you're more likely to get some cross body swing going...'the pinkie against the waistband' drill that you mention should should also help keep the arms moving in the same direction as the rest of the body...
---
megawill

Thanks Guys! :D

I have been trying to get my arms down. I don't swing my arms a bunch they just tend to stay close to my chest kind of high. This morning I tried to keep my hands by my waist and not swing a lot. I am hoping I will get used to it and not have to think about it. Right now I have to remind myself how to hold my arms.

How to hold your arms while running:

while running, look for rocks and count them.

In other words, if you are comfortable, than your arms are ok. Anything that requires thought while you are running is probably wrong.

Ok Rachel, here's a little of what that article says:
1984 Olympic Marathon Champions Carlos Lopez and Moan Benoit Samuelson both ran with slight forward leans, landing nearly flat-footed under their bodies, and with more compact and higher arm swings and heel kicks.
it also describes Sammy Kipketer's arm swing as "hands up, elbows back, chest forward." and at one point says that a low hand/foot carriage is a waste of energy and a thief of speed. The article was written by Tom Miller P.H. D.

If you need a visual on how to hold your arms, refer to this :P
I personally don't think I naturally pull my arms far enough back to touch my waistband with my pinky...is this weird?

I ran this morning 4 miles with a conscious effort to keep my arms down and I know it was harder and made me slower. When I have my arms higher they barely swing at all and having them lower they swing and I couldn't seem to find a rhythm. :|

I think I am not going to worry about it. My longest run has been 6 miles and I didn't get any shoulder fatigue which is what I am worried about if I am holding my arms wrong and my runs get longer. 6 miles isn't that long but I think as I continue to run further if I feel that my upper body is getting tired then I will try to change again.

I saw another pic from the race and my hands/arms weren't as high.