Table of Contents
Cross Fit is a new craze hitting the fitness industry, so why not jump on board? The way Cross Fit works is to complete weight lifting exercises under speed conditions to maximize the benefits, but be aware if you are a beginner to exercise this probably isn't suitable. Get a good 3-4 weeks base training in before you attempt this workout.
For this workout of the day, the focus will be on the back, biceps and abs. It's best to break down your resistance and strength training into parts of the body as you can then train more often because the next day you could train legs without feeling too much aching or pain for the session you do today!
Sumo Dead lift:
- Using a barbell with about 80 percent of your maximum weight, stand behind it with your feet in a wide stance (sumo-like), keeping the feet facing forward just under the bar.
- Take a narrow grip with the hands about 30cm apart.
- When ready, take a deep breath in and as you breathe out lift the bar using your back and legs, and keep your arms straight until you are standing upright.
- Hold for 3 seconds and then lower, but do not let the bar touch the floor. Repeat.
Bent Over Barbell Row:
- Stand with feet shoulder-width apart and bend forward, keeping the back straight so your body and legs are at about 100 degrees (bigger than right angle).
- Hold the bar at arms length towards the floor.
- When ready breathe in and as you exhale, bring the bar into your belly button keeping the back straight. Then lower and repeat.
Bent Over Dumbbell Row:
- This is the exact same as above, however using two dumbbells rather than a bar.
- Use an EZ bar for this exercise and add weight to about 80 percent of your maximum.
- Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart and your back straight.
- Slowly lift the bar up to your chest as in a traditional bicep curl.
- Hold for 3 seconds, lower and repeat.
- Using dumbbells instead of a bar, this targets a different part of the bicep.
- Hold the dumbbells down by your side with the weight facing forward and your palms turned into your body.
- When ready, lift both dumbbells up until your arm is fully bent keeping the palms facing inwards, hold, lower and repeat.
- Grab a medicine ball that is of a challenging weight for you.
- Sit on the floor and have your body at about 90 degrees, lifting your feet off the floor and hold this position.
- Using the medicine ball twist your body and touch the medicine ball on either side of your body.
- Remember to keep your feet off the floor to keep your core activated.
Tip - Practice the techniques prior to attempting the workout to make sure you have the perfect method because you will be performing the exercises under a high intensity and at speed and technique is the most important aspect of these types of workouts.