If one comes charging at you, what are we supposed to do? 'Cappy-kick' it? Run like Shelee?

input! I demand input!!!

joel

Most dogs can probably out run you (no offense). Greyhounds top out at about 30 MPH so your chances are pretty slim of getting past one of them.

For little dogs, I'll usually ignore it until it gets within kicking distance and then I'll give it enough of a boot that it will turn and run.

For big dogs, I'll stop and face it and stare it down and yell at it. They usually act pretty confused at that point and I've never had one advance on me any farther than that.

Exactly what I have done in the past. Then call the police and report the incident.

Stop, confront. Call the po po. Those dog's owner need to be cited.

:1: with everything said here.

Also, carry a milkbone with ya.

I followed my advice today just to see how it would work. ;) Little yippy dog came running up on me and I gave it a boot in the tail and it left me alone after that. Not 5 houses down and a mid to large-sized dog comes out after me. I stopped, faced it, did the classic back-off pose and he stopped and we had a stare down for a minute and he gave up. One thing to do on the larger dogs is don't forget to stop your watch. Some of those dogs don't lose interest so fast and you may be there for a while. On large dogs (which I've never had a real problem with yet), look for something large to pick up and throw at them or hit them with (tree branches work well). Don't go down without a fight and don't wait for it to bite you. Hit, kick and bite (for reals) if it comes to that. No reason to just let the dog attack you without getting a few licks in yourself.

A Greyhound would probably become your running buddy if it doesn't lick you to death.
I used to carry a water pistol filled with ammonia and water when I was a kid on a bicycle.

See that's the thing..it seems that you almost have to mentally prepare yourself EACH time you go out for a run? I couldn't fathom striking a dog...EVER...but I guess I need to face the fact that I NEED to so that I don't get hurt...

I guess it is the planner aheader in me Joel. I always think there is a boggie man around every corner. Guess that's why I am still on the job.
I would hurt a dog in a second. We are just different people.

You brute!!!!

Imagine that the dog is a mugger then. I'd rather be proactive in my approach toward dogs than wait until it bit me to fight back.

I agree with PH. I have, though, heard two opposing thoughts on this. One says that we, as upright humans, are the "big dog" and therefore the "alpha" dog, and if we confront them in a dog-type manner (facing them, growling, barking, etc) they will back down. The other side says that if we confront a dog in the above manner, or how PH described it, we are challenging them to a fight, and they won't back down. I normally confront (there's a news flash) and I've only had one dog not back down quickly. However you decide to handle the dog, just remember that it has the upper hand when it comes to actual physical confrontation. Humans may be smarter, but we just don't have those teeth and claws. If this is something that's happening a lot on your running routes, then you need to find out where the dog lives and chat with the owners.

I disagree somewhat. You've got an advantage because you've got longer limbs. The dog has to be right up on you to bite and that's really all a dog can do effectively while you've got long arms and legs that can hit and kick. PLUS with an opposable [sp?] thumb, you can pick up things to throw or swing.

Well, physically we may be a bit superior but dog's have one weapon that we can't defend...'unpredictability'....
If a mugger came at me, I know enough basic self-defense moves to defend myself...I can't say the same with a dog...

I find it hard to hit an animal as well. But the 2 times that I was attacked by dogs while running, I was defending myself. I could justify it in those situations. I tried to avoid confrontation with the dogs. Once it tried to bite me all bets were off.